ID:89518

Keywords: modtracker, programs
Making Regressia has taught me a lot about creating sounds and music, and now that the project is done I'll have time to share that knowledge with you in a new tutorial series to replace the old Mod Tracking tutorial. That's right, Audiophiles is going to get the love and attention it's been missing out on.

I'm officially changing my software recommendation from MadTracker to MilkyTracker. MadTracker was a buggy and feature poor (feature crazy is more accurate, the features they had made little sense, and the features you needed were glaringly absent) program with terrible work-flow. MilkyTracker has issues of it's own, but it is stable, reacts how you expect it should most of the time, and has exactly the feature set you find yourself needing most often.

If you want to get a head start on the tutorials, download the program from MilkyTracker.org and take a look at the included help file.

Have fun, and be back soon.
When I make music, I usually use GuitarPro v5. ;)
+1 for PowerTab Editor if you don't feel like dishing out for GuitarPro.
Airjoe wrote:
+1 for PowerTab Editor if you don't feel like dishing out for GuitarPro.

Yea, PowerTab is a good software as well. I used it before I decided to get GuitarPro.
Would you mind making a little tutorial about how it can be used to make sounds / music for use in BYOND projects? My experience is limited to mod tracking. Also, from what I'm reading online it isn't clear what export formats the program supports. Right now I have no clue if it could create a midi music file.
IainPeregrine wrote:
Would you mind making a little tutorial about how it can be used to make sounds / music for use in BYOND projects? My experience is limited to mod tracking. Also, from what I'm reading online it isn't clear what export formats the program supports. Right now I have no clue if it could create a midi music file.

Yeah, GuitarPro and PowerTab are both programs that can make midi files. They can also import midi files, and you can rearrange them. So if you ever mess up it's a good program to use to go in. I'll make a small little video about how to use it later tonight with BYOND. But remember, they are programs that were made to help people read guitar tabs and stuff, but they are great for music composition.
Man, I'd love to see more BYOND games take advantage of module music. Maybe we should try to get some real trackers over this way.
Lummox JR wrote:
Man, I'd love to see more BYOND games take advantage of module music. Maybe we should try to get some real trackers over this way.

I ran into some problems when using .xm files in Regressia. Though FMOD says it supports the .xm format there were several aspects of that format* that simply flat out failed in every test I ran. I've been tied up for months with getting the project released, but expect some reports along these lines pretty soon. In my experience .xm is the format I've encountered most frequently. If a tracker has problems getting his .xm files to play on BYOND, I don't see him sticking around long.

*Most notably, there's a setting which specifies which pattern the module should repeat from. I could not get BYOND to honor this setting, so songs would always repeat from the start of the module, including any intro.
I haven't found any reliable info yet on incorrect looping in FMOD, though it's probably controlled by some kind of setting we're not using properly. If you run across any info partaining to FmodEx looping that might be relevant, I'll be happy to look into it.