ID:89655

BYOND Version:462
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Web Browser:Firefox 3.0.17
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I haven't been able to pin this one down, but it happens fairly often. Basically, compiling a project in the Dream Maker occasionally shifts the Dream Maker tab in the Windows Task Bar to the far right of other open programs in the bar (as if the program had just opened).

I've only tested this in Vista. It seems to happen more often when the Dream Maker takes longer to process during compiles... like when changes are made to a large map.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Open Dream Maker first, then several other programs/windows. Occasionally upon compiling a project, the Dream Maker Tab will move to the far right.

Expected Results:
The program stays in place in the task bar.

Actual Results:
OCD people like me freak out when their task bar gets disorganized.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Pretty sure that this wasn't around in 460-461, but I'm not positive.
I'm not sure this is a BYOND problem so much as a Windows problem. It's probably related to the report that deleting a file makes the DM window lose focus, which I haven't been able to verify either. I can say for sure this never happens to me in XP. But I've found when Explorer gets into an unstable state I often start losing some browser windows from the taskbar (I don't do tabs), which reappear when I Alt+tab to them.

For organizing the taskbar, I use a program called Taskbar Shuffle; I don't know if it's Vista-compatible but I would assume so. (Windows 7 probably not so much.)
Lummox JR wrote:
For organizing the taskbar, I use a program called Taskbar Shuffle; I don't know if it's Vista-compatible but I would assume so. (Windows 7 probably not so much.)

Cool, thanks - I'll look it up. Serves me right for using Vista anyway.
Well, taskbar shuffle can crash explorer.exe, and so can some program that lets hide windows and stuff to, with an unknown cause. Online I am sue I read as compatible, but it didn't work for me.

Anyways, it doesn't even in explorer make it move for progrms thaat even lock up or anything, so I am guessing something in the code makes it dissappear and re-appear, and then, it only happens sometimes, because it wil only dissappear if it has time for the animation thats it does when closing a window, if that has time to play, so, it's likely fixable, and not a windows issue.
The failure to verify either issue outside of Vista suggests it probably is a Windows problem. That doesn't mean that we can't work around it, but not knowing the mode of action doesn't help.
I can report that this is definitely not happening in Windows 7 as far as I can tell. I've compiled small projects and large projects with no issues at all. However, Win7 did make major changes to the taskbar in certain areas so it may have been a glitch with Vista only.

Do you have a Windows 7 computer to verify, Silk?
I can verify this is happening with Windows 7 RC 7100. It also happened while I was compiling the NEStalgia code.
tenkuu: Can you verify with a more recent version of Windows 7?
Not without buying one. That's not going to happen soon, however.
This happens on XP too, basically, if the process of compiling takes a while, or to where the program says "Not Responding" for a little while if you try to interact with it, then it will move around.

However, even in Windows 7 then it really doesn't matter because you can move tray items around and taskbar items around on a normal install.

While it matters a little still then, it matters much less.