I don't understand what you're asking for here that credits don't handle perfectly fine without getting the scoreboard involved.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Please use punctuations. No idea what you were trying to say.
...There is literally nothing in that sentence that requires punctuation. What I said was that I do not understand why you need to use a hacky workaround using the scoreboard system when the credits system already covers making micro-purchases.
Thing is that when you want the same package work on multiple servers at the same time aka to activate it on all servers you need to save the information somewhere and be able to retrieve it later. Get it?
Ah, I see what you're saying. Sorry to intrude. :p
I wonder if the SQL support recently added to BYOND would be able to help you out with this. Sql databases are saved in a file, so if you happen to have access to a public directory, it might serve as a better alternative to a scoreboard. But I think either would work just fine. Scoreboards do not really have a convenient way of clearing itself through code iirc.
The SQL library added works fine for various purposes, the lite variant added recently works well for things you don't need to save globally across all servers, MySQL for that matter handles all that.
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
I wonder if the SQL support recently added to BYOND would be able to help you out with this. Sql databases are saved in a file, so if you happen to have access to a public directory, it might serve as a better alternative to a scoreboard. But I think either would work just fine. Scoreboards do not really have a convenient way of clearing itself through code iirc.

Stop right there. You are entering a restricted domain. Databases? You have to remeber that in a single player environment this isn't going to cut it. While that is a good idea and all, people would be better off using the leaderboards to store data to make sure people aren't going to fidding with the DB to give themselves whatever they want.

Storing things on the leaderboards gives you the ability to have some extra security without having to managae your own online database. Just because the idea of using a regular database works for multiplayer doesn't mean it works for single player.

A small workaround though would be to have a main server that receives Topic() requests. But, once again, not secure. A user could send things through it anytime whereas credits and other things are more secure.

The question is... could BYOND afford to house data for users? I mean it would be no different than housing the leaderboards itself. Just store 0 or 1 for true or false, indicating if they bought it. Or, true for true, false for false, 0 for false. 1-9999 for value. A user can use value for expiration features. A server decrements all values by one once a day. If a value hits 0, clean up by removing it.
Xirre wrote:
Stop right there. You are entering a restricted domain. Databases? You have to remeber that in a single player environment this isn't going to cut it. While that is a good idea and all, people would be better off using the leaderboards to store data to make sure people aren't going to fidding with the DB to give themselves whatever they want.

Storing things on the leaderboards gives you the ability to have some extra security without having to managae your own online database. Just because the idea of using a regular database works for multiplayer doesn't mean it works for single player.

I'm not seeing your point at all here. Furthermore, there's no reason why a database wouldn't work.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
Xirre wrote:

I'm not seeing your point at all here. Furthermore, there's no reason why a database wouldn't work.

wot?
Databases would work just fine, local ones wouldn't be practical however. I suppose they meant that that local ones would be editable plus handling you own database might be too much effort, so a simple solution would be to use the scoreboard as the database with hidden values.
A online database would be fine, no different to the cloud saving feature games have nowadays, even for single player games..
Page: 1 2