ID:90059

Descriptive Problem Summary:
I honestly cannot get more specific than this: any time I try to start up the main BYOND program, it crashes. I double-click on the "BYOND" desktop icon, and the next thing I get is a window that says "byond.exe has stopped working". I didn't have this problem a couple weeks ago, but I can't think of anything I did to my computer that would cause this problem to start happening.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Start up BYOND using any means (double-click desktop icon, Start menu, go into Program Files, etc.)
2. "byond.exe has stopped working" dialog pops up.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
The program starts up as usual.
Actual Results:
The program immediately crashes upon starting up.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games?
In other user accounts? Only one account on this computer
On other computers? Everyone else's BYOND seems to work fine

When does the problem NOT occur?
I can start up Dream Maker and Dream Daemon on their own just fine, and I can run Dream Seeker from within DM. However, this isn't very useful as it only allows me to run games I already have on my computer.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I tried several older versions back as far as v452, but experienced the same problem with all of them.

Workarounds:
I can start up Maker and Daemon, and Seeker from within DM, but that's limited as far as usefulness goes.
If byond.exe is crashing on startup I can think of a few possible causes. One is that in the first release of 462 there was a problem with one of the .dll files in our installer, which was causing issues on some systems. However if you've reinstalled older versions from their .exe files already, that's probably not what happened to you. If you merely tried using older files though, I'd recommend a reinstall of 461 and then if that works, you can update to the newer 462 through the pager.

A more likely problem is that your computer is in an unstable state. If you reboot and try again, does the problem still happen? If so, please look at the crash details when you get the message that byond.exe has stopped working, and relay any information you see there.
I have had problems with simple programs like a program that allowed me to move Tray icons around, and another which allowed me to hide windows, or move windows to the system tray, and other such programs.

If you have installed ANY programs no matter what they do lately, that could be interferring, small or big.

For mine, I didn't just have to shutdown the program either that I was having trouble with, I had to fully uninstall it.

If this is a similar issue, this should stop this from happening, hopefully you can track it down, otherwise, it is what lummox said, which I would try first because it's easier.
Lummox JR wrote:
If byond.exe is crashing on startup I can think of a few possible causes. One is that in the first release of 462 there was a problem with one of the .dll files in our installer, which was causing issues on some systems. However if you've reinstalled older versions from their .exe files already, that's probably not what happened to you. If you merely tried using older files though, I'd recommend a reinstall of 461 and then if that works, you can update to the newer 462 through the pager.

A more likely problem is that your computer is in an unstable state. If you reboot and try again, does the problem still happen? If so, please look at the crash details when you get the message that byond.exe has stopped working, and relay any information you see there.

I've tried rebooting, but that doesn't solve anything. I've also tried uninstalling byond and then deleting the byond folder before reinstalling. The only thing Windows tells me after it crashes is that the latest updates might help my computer. The only update available for me is Service Pack 1, which I tried for months to install to no avail. I don't see why that would be the problem anyway, considering it worked just fine before.
this is what i get when i go to problems and soultions for byond Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dreamseeker.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 4b4d0fd8
Fault Module Name: Secur32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18051
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a366084
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000021dc
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e7b2
Additional Information 2: fe9ec89eeb6914608a2bb1caeb5bfe01
Additional Information 3: 6e54
Additional Information 4: cdf46cf49259f15234dc9ecfd938df74
i dont know what it means but if anyone knows what it does mean or how to fix it than can you please tell me
Secur32.dll isn't part of our code. The crash for you could indicate something triggered indirectly by BYOND, or it could be an instability in your system. As always with such things I recommend first trying a reboot, and looking for other programs that might be interfering with BYOND. Reinstalling BYOND would also be useful.
One thing that did not occur to me earlier is that you could try clearing your BYOND cache. If you can start the pager you can do it from there, or else you can go into your BYOND user data directory and delete all the files in the cache folder.

Before you do this however, please make a copy of byond.rsc from your cache. If clearing the cache solves your problem, zip up the byond.rsc file you copied and send it to me at [email protected] and I can take a look to see what went wrong with that file.
it was normal than when i reinstalled it for new update since doing it on pager dosent work well it always says retry or abort than when i redid it it started crashing again
your link is not working
What link is not working? Please be specific and detailed when you post because without information I can't help.
[email protected] <---- put it in adress bar but it didnt work and now its saying dream seeker and byond.exe has stoped working
lummox can you help me please man i cant play byond much anymore
[email protected] is an email address, not a URL. My instructions were just to zip up your byond.rsc file and sent it to me by email, but only if clearing your cache afterward solved the problem. That apparently is not the case.

I think your best bet is really to go to the BYOND Help forums.
how do i add your email?
i ziped it but ie not sure how and where to add you at
BYOND Help forum

I can't help you any further here.
new to the whole internet chating and addng stuff
I learned how to fix it I had this problem then i ran tracer and byond opened up and worked like a charm