ID:90303

Resolved
Resolved by user
BYOND Version:462
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 8.0

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary/Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Byond often crashes wheen I use the selection tool to copy and paste a part of an icon into a new icon, go back to the orignal, and use the selection tool with angles. This and similar situations causes it to crash.

This seems to always happen to me when i select a an entire 32 by 32 box with an icon in the middle that takes up about 6 by 6 space and try to turn it 60 degrees

Expected Results:
Actual Results:
To not crash
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
About 90% of the time
In other games?
Possibly
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Unablee to test
When does the problem NOT occur?
When I get lucky.

Workarounds:
Save every 30 seconds to avoid losing work.

screenies coming in a few mins
So here is me selecting the entire box right, usually the icon i select is in the middle area.
Photobucket
So what I do is paste it into another 32 by 32 box and when i change the angle (usually in the 10 to 70 degree range) it crashes and only saves the original icon before i copied it.
I can't seem to make this occur, you need to define every step you go through to make the error occur, I tried using all the posts and everything, and was unable to make this error appear, but maybe I am doing something wrong, considering there is not step by step instructions.
Superbike32 wrote:
I can't seem to make this occur, you need to define every step you go through to make the error occur, I tried using all the posts and everything, and was unable to make this error appear, but maybe I am doing something wrong, considering there is not step by step instructions.

This mostly happens when I am copying and pasting things in dream maker im wondering if its just the poor quality computer i have

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Asus_Eee_proportions.png
quote from a post:

Author: Moonlight Memento [Posts]
Date: 1/13/10 4:29 pm
Topic: Re: This is one case of an RSC extractor being good.
Post ID:735599
Parent ID:735589
Next ID:729764

I'm not sure what caused it. After flipping an icon around a bit Dream Maker would lock up and ask the "Don't Send", "Send Error Report" stuff, then when I re-loaded Dream Maker the icons weren't in the .dmi

I couldn't submit a report because it wasn't consistent.

I can't possibly know then, but the development platform itself shouldn't use much of anything, cpu, graphics, or anything while it's running, it seems the most intensive task there is in dream maker is compiling, so, really, it shouldn't matter how shitty a computer you got.

And if it only crashes sometimes well then maybe BYOND forgot about people with little ram, or people with little hard drive space, make sure these are not issues when running it, since I have always had plenty, that might be something that might make a program crash, if BYOND didn't take it into account due to people usually having an abundance of it.

You can check general RAM usage under the Task Manager, it will show it as a percentage shown as 'Physical Memory', this is your ram, typically it should not be over 80%, or you will need more ram.

I know the compiler does tell you when theres not enough memory or some similar error, but I don't know what icon making, etc... might do.
Selecting a whole icon and rotating 60 degrees did not cause any problems for me. If you can come up with a numbered set of steps to follow that reliably causes a problem, please add that to your report and I'll take another look then.
I cleared up space on my computer it seems that with computers which dont have enough memory would crash easily while doing this.