ID:903817

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I know a lot of sprite artists use different programs to make their sprites but sometimes I'd like to not have to copy paste every time I'm done with a sprite. So I sprite in Dream Maker.

I always have to change the default palette up because I can't use the colors there (well I could but I don't like the colors). So I was thinking for it to be like a customized palette option like in MS Paint. I'd also like it to stay. Perhaps let us make different palettes and switch between them. Letting us apply them to all icon files in any .dme in our Dream Maker.

I'd also like to suggest a layering system so we can separate our shades from our highlights. It would be really helpful for those who sprite in Dream Maker, like me. It's kind of simple so I don't feel like I have to explain this. But pretty much simple layering, maybe even limited to three to five pages.
Agreed. Good suggestion. I'd also like to say that itd be nice to be able to export the png component of a dmi file, allowing for editing in photoshop/gimp whatever, and then having a proper import feature for that png back to that particular dmi format so that icon states and frames are preserved. If that feature existed then the constraints of the icon maker in DM would be irrelevant.
In response to DvK87
DMI files are actually just PNGs with a couple of comments stored in them about the icon_state layout. Any program that doesn't discard those comments should work fine simply by renaming the DMI to a PNG and back.
Do you know of a program that wont overwrite the comments?! I use photoshop and it kills them all. If you know of a way to avoid this, I would be in your debt for ever.
I believe GIMP has an option of whether to save the comments or not.
There's probably a way to prevent it in Photoshop (I know it has a couple of different ways to save/export), but I can't find anything specific on Google.

One workaround would be to use a program like TweakPNG to copy the zTXt chunk out before hand, and then copy it back in afterwards.
You people are fantastic. A tutorial on this process should be made to save iconers hours and hours of time recoloring/tweaking icons.
It only takes a few seconds to recolor an sprite in Dream Maker. o _o; Unless it's tool shaded that is.
Im not sure what tool shaded means, but most icons I work with have ~50 distinct colors which need to be individually recolored. Using manual recalculations of RGBs or simply guessing at the color palette is not appropriate, it makes more sense to make hue/brightness changes or color swaps.