Superbike32 wrote:
I am using IE8.

There's your problem.
I Like it! it looks better then before!!
SuperAntx wrote:
Superbike32 wrote:
I am using IE8.

There's your problem.

I know what causes the issue, but, that's still no excuse, I can fix the issue with just a few lines of code, it should not be hard to add in another coniditional to make code not run if under IE8.

That is all that is needed, considering I did myself on a local version of the website, using the View Source code, and just one tweak using an extra conditional. That is all it took to fix it.

Now I know firefox has plugins to help change pages and stuff to fix imperfections, but simply put, this would never happen in firefox to begin with, so, I am thinking one conditional to fix IE8 would be better.
I love it! Great work, guys.
Hopefully now people who stumble across BYOND will actually be here to stay a bit longer. :)
Diggin' the new look guys! Keep up the good work.
Zaole, try refreshing your browser cache to see if that fixes the problem (if it's still happening). If you still see it, please send me a screenshot. I've been unable to get a look at how Chrome renders the page.

[Edit] I did find some scattered info that Chrome may have a bug with repeat-y, which serves them right for using Webkit as a base instead of the superior Gecko, but I'd like more info to be sure.
clearing my cache didn't help. here's a screenshot: http://www.filedropper.com/chrome
there's also that white line going down the left.

oh, and the fade cutoff only happens in some pages. for example, i see it byond.com/games but not at byond.com/members
Now all we need is a way to flag things from appearing in the ad spaces. That should also save any time put into our developers policing.
Does BYOND receive any money for just having the ads displayed or do only clicks count?
SuperAntx wrote:
Does BYOND receive any money for just having the ads displayed or do only clicks count?

If they get paid for Ads, I'm pretty sure it's click-based considering the circumstances.
Well, it's still prime real estate. I've seen a lot of non-Google "place your ad here" deals where it's just a monthly fee.
The members page (and probably a few others) need boxes around the borders. Otherwise, good job.
Boxes around borders? Huh?
Lummox JR wrote:
Boxes around borders? Huh?

Borders around the boxes. But surely you still understood what he meant before you commented back.
I see a small issue in the recommended games box in that some of the recommended games aren't even games. Zelda Pixel Movement Demo, for example, was displayed there. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were a newbie and I went to checkout a "recommended game" only to find that it was a proof-of-concept demo.
Well, at the cost of alienating some games, I believe the sidebar should only showcase popular, well made games. Right now it just seems to cycle through every single published game on the hub.
Smoosh wrote:
Borders around the boxes. But surely you still understood what he meant before you commented back.

Inasmuch as this update got rid of borders around the boxes intentionally, that didn't seem to be a good guess as to what he was suggesting. If it was, though, he's out of luck; everyone else including myself has liked the site better without so many borders.

Foomer wrote:
I see a small issue in the recommended games box in that some of the recommended games aren't even games. Zelda Pixel Movement Demo, for example, was displayed there. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were a newbie and I went to checkout a "recommended game" only to find that it was a proof-of-concept demo.

This is an unfortunate consequence of the demo being mispublished as a game. (Bad Fugsnarf!) I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to add some kind of manager UI for changing the types for entries that have been published wrongly like that, or maybe they're better off just suppressed. I dislike that Fugsnarf couldn't even be bothered to put in a real description for the entry.

SuperAntx wrote:
Well, at the cost of alienating some games, I believe the sidebar should only showcase popular, well made games. Right now it just seems to cycle through every single published game on the hub.

There are only two kinds of games shown: Recommended, and Featured. The featured games are the same ones that showed up in the old banners: One of our banner guilds has to list the game as a favorite for it to appear here. The recommended games are anything that our (admittedly imperfect) recommendation algorithm thinks you might be interested in. Recommendations can be adjusted by visiting the game's hub page, where you can find out why it was recommended. I wouldn't object to making the "Why?" box available from the sidebar.
Am I the only one who liked the old look of members more? Old look with topbar was much more lively than the new one. Right now the members page looks dull :/ I like other changes but give us an option to turn on the topbar on members page =(
Making the topbar optional would be too much work and would require us to maintain even more graphics and layout permutations. I liked some aspects of it myself but this is much cleaner. But if the community page is too dull, there may be other ways to deal with that.
Lummox JR wrote:
There are only two kinds of games shown: Recommended, and Featured. The featured games are the same ones that showed up in the old banners: One of our banner guilds has to list the game as a favorite for it to appear here.

You should probably leave it at just featured games. The recommended games are wildly inconsistent and almost never fall in line with my particular tastes. I've actually spent a lot of time working with the recommendations, marking what I like and don't like, and I've noticed most of the games have nothing to do with each other. To this day I'm still recommended weird, terrible games for simply logging into something months ago.

I'm sorry to say it, but the recommended system seems a bit broken at the moment. Featured games would be much easier to regulate anyway.
Page: 1 2 3 4