ID:90487

Descriptive Problem Summary:
When playing games, when I right click atoms on the map that have verbs attached to them, my whole screen will go black, then turn back on. In the buttons on the task bar one pops up that says nvlddmkm graphics driver has failed and recovered.

Often after this happens a few times I will get a message from dream seeker stating BYOND needs Direct X 8 or higher to run. I have direct X 9c. The drive nvlddmkm is the sys file for my NVidea GeForce Go 7400 graphics driver. It's up to date and everything seems to be installed correctly. While playing games on BYOND is the only time this occurs.

This has recently started happening while clicking interface buttons.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Right clicking atoms.

Expected Results:
For my screen not to go black.

Actual Results:
My screen goes black.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Sometimes it is very frequent sometimes not so frequent.
In other games?
All games.
In other user accounts?
No other accounts.
On other computers?
No other computers.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When not clicking stuff in games.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It has been doing this since I've had BYOND. Which was December 25th.
Workarounds:
None that I know of.
The message you're getting from BYOND is because it has recognized that one of the DirectX operations it attempted has failed, and it's switching to software rendering mode.

Considering the uniqueness of the problem, this is likely an issue with your system itself that is beyond our control. It could be physical a problem with your video card, or the driver could think it's up to date but be corrupted or installed incorrectly. One thing I would recommend is upgrading DirectX to version 11. I also recommend reinstalling the driver from a known good version. If updating the driver fails, it may be the card itself.

I did a quick Google search and it seems like "nvlddmkm failed recovered" pulls up a lot of people experiencing a similar driver crash in other programs or even when doing nothing at all. So it could be that Nvidia has really lousy drivers, or they may have had a run of bad cards or something. I found that somewhere on this thread there may be a solution:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ showthread.php?t=518749&page=10

That thread however also mentioned possible problems like bad RAM, or the graphics card overheating. Overheating could well be a problem so it's worth looking for a utility that will report the temperature of your GPU, and if it's high then you need to consider ways of ventilating the case better (since that will affect any graphics card you use).

You do have a workaround however that should hold you until you figure out the problem: Try turning off hardware rendering in BYOND. You can do this in Client | Preferences when you right-click the game's icon in the taskbar or open Options & Messages.