ACWraith wrote:
I don't watch a lot of reality television, but aren't they mostly designed to promote performers rather than creators? Weeding anything out would require a lot of original songs. The shows are focused on covers and Pavlovian responses. It's not the same service.

So Sony et. al adds a song writer to write an album or two (rarely two it seems) to perform, and they chart top that for a bit. But yeah, that's what the shows focus on, but the thing is for the mainstream (and the industry) that is the service they provide. It's that which is really being hurt by piracy.

Music in general will carry on doing it's thing, it did before we had a music industry in the larger sense and I'm sure it would if the music industry somehow magically collapsed. Unlike before we had an industry as we see it today though, mass communication is much improved, making it a very good medium for an artist to broadcast their works and gain the fan-base needed to perform concerts. We're really just heading towards a situation where the classic distribution model goes, and the middle-men publishers with it.
The performance is the one thing already provided by recorded media in a package convenient enough to be experienced anywhere. Digital formats have made it even more so. Frell, concert locations shouldn't even last much longer considering how relatively easy it is to broadcast live.

We don't ask movie actors to put on plays. We don't ask book authors to write stories in our presence. We don't ask videogame developers to create games live. Yet, somehow, those who create music are expected to be dancing monkeys. I call bull.

What remains a constant service is the creation process. I'd honestly rather pay an artist (of any kind) to sit at home and pump out content. An inability to time shift is sooo last century.
It varies on what genre of music you're talking about. I can assure you that if you feel otherwise, you've never been to a Dave Matthews Band concert. that's the craziest party ever. Also, I don't really see myself preferring to watch a concert on tv as opposed to being there. Some things just don't get translated.
Page: 1 2