ID:91342

Not a bug
This is not a BYOND bug.
BYOND Version:462
Operating System:All Operating Systems
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Dream Maker reports findText is being phased out when compiling the Syntax Highlighter Library. It informs to replace with findtextEx

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Download and compile Lummox JR's Syntax Highlighter library.

Expected Results:
Clean compile

Actual Results:
Compile time warnings

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
When editing the library to use findtextEx

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?

Workarounds:
Edit the library or copy code from SyntaxHighlighter.dm to some local dm file (if you don't wish to modify the actual library).
...Read the goddamn notes for the past update.
Super Saiyan X wrote:

Your rudeness is both unappreciated and unwanted. If this is what byond is to become these days this time I take my leave from it permanently.
Ghtry wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:

Your rudeness is both unappreciated and unwanted. If this is what byond is to become these days this time I take my leave from it permanently.

If my fairly simple and logical advice is too much for you to handle, then please, do leave.

If something stops working specifically in one version and above. Read the notes for the previous versions and fixes, pretty simple.
disregard the evilness
If something stop working specifically in one version and above. Read the notes for the previous versions and fixes, pretty simple.
If this were my lib, then I'd fix it happily to comply. If you intend to phase out something and the lib was wrote by someone, regardless who that person is, then they should fix it to comply, as that is less confusing to new users.
Fix it yourself.
#if DM_VERSION<462
#define findtextEx findText
#define cmptextEx cmpText
#define ckeyEx cKey
#define sorttextEx sortText
#elif DM_VERSION>461
#define findText findtextEx
#define cmpText cmptextEx
#define cKey ckeyEx
#define sortText sorttextEx
#endif

This report is like going through each and every library, making a bug report about it, and then complaining when it's not fixed. It's not a BYOND bug, it's a library bug -- it should be taken to it's respective owner.
DivineTraveller:

That's a pretty nifty code work-around. I realize that this is not an internal BYOND bug... even if Lummox did write the library.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything. It would confuse new users though, and not just for the library mentioned here.

Thank you for the polite response and fix code. Is there any place I should request these minor types of issues with 3rd party libraries be fixed? I suppose I could scout around next time.
The feedback section of the respective libraries would most likely work (although I am not completely familiar with the new system, I don't know if users can leave feedback on other hub items, but I believe they can).