ID:91971

Resolved
DM now has a "Show Line Numbers" option under the code preferences menu.
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Copied from BYOND Features forum by Lummox JR

I know this has been asked a few times, but I wanted to throw in a "bump".

The gray bar to the left of the code is just begging for some line numbers. How feasible is this, and could we expect it in a near update?
I guess this did get added to the tracker. Bump.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

YESSSSS, YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!
This sort of thing should have been installed years ago, in my personal opinion.
Can't you use the fingers? Just kidding. It's a good idea.
I agree.
Would make navigating a large project much easier.
This
I can't think of an example of a situation where this would come in handy. Can anyone provide one?

The space on the screen is there already so this feature certainly isn't detrimental but I'm not sure why people are so supportive. A handier feature would be clickable runtime errors to take you to the file and line in Dream Maker (provided it's running).
Handy? I guess it's much easier to know what line you're on than hitting Ctrl+G.

Falacy trolled the thread about this in the forums stating that this wasn't necessary because Ctrl+G already displayed the line that you were on and that hitting Ctrl+G, Esc was just as convenient as glancing to the left.

P.S. Indeed, that is handy, but why not have both?
I wouldn't agree with Falacy (out of principle if nothing else) that ctrl+g is an easier way to find out what line you're on. My question is: why do you need to know? The only time I use line numbers is when a runtime error gives me one but in that case I'm looking to jump to a line so ctrl+g is more appropriate.

Line numbers might make sense in DM tags so when you post code on the forum you can say something like "it seems like line 17 isn't being executed". For navigating code in a project I just can't think of a case where line numbers would be handy.
Line numbers could be useful in DM tags, or when working with other programmers on a joint project. I think that's pretty much their purpose. I wouldn't think of it as too big of a loss if we don't have them, though.
@ Forum_account

I guess its an old fashioned thing, its easier and less time consuming when jumping between two or more bits of code when one remembers the line numbers. Its simply for reference purposes (individually, or as you pointed out if posted online).
I picked up a habit before starting work with DM in using a line-number index, referencing functions that should be made note of.

An argument against this is to separate procs that are of such importance into different files, but when multiple procs share relevancy to a certain module it is much more efficient to keep them in the same page.

Ctrl+G works, of course, but it's not as quick(and my project is quite large).

--
Another point is that this would help new and old programmers alike in making their libraries more readable.
Come now, it's time to add this feature.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:

In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
SuperAntx wrote:

I don't know why it has been added ... it's so stupid since ctrl+g is goto line ...
Tom resolved issue with message:
DM now has a "Show Line Numbers" option under the code preferences menu.
WOOHOO!
Tom, do you give me permission to caress you as you sleep?
He'll do it anyway, but at least he's asking beforehand I guess.
Page: 1 2