ID:91972

Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Copied from BYOND Features forum by Lummox JR

Perhaps some sort of argument:
DreamDaemon myfile.dmb 1234 -trusted -logself -host Airjoe

It would look for some authorization file, at the least copied from a Windows box. At most, it could authorize with the hub before running.
I see two ways to do this: command line arguments for username and password, or command line arguments for key and a key file which has a saved password. Key files can be copied from Windows and, hopefully, generated right there on the box.

I'd guess the problem stems from there not being a world.host var, eh? So there's going to need to be some way for -host "Airjoe" to translate to the game somehow, either with the introduction of such a variable or by given that user, upon login, a blank ip or identical IP to the server, though I don't think that's as feasible.

Definitely an awesome feature though!
There is a world.host var.
Jeez, when did that happen? Anyway, yeah, let's just have this feature set world.host then.
Suggested usage:

DreamDaemon myfile.dmb 1234 -trusted -logself -host AndroidData -password -rememberkey

On the first run, I have to supply the password. A file called "key.txt" is created in the same folder which contains an encrypted form of my key.

If -rememberkey is set then I can use the key for offline access. Then all I have to do to host in the future is type what Airjoe typed, possibly with a -keytxt /path/to/key.txt

The problem in this is that once I give authorization for others to do this, there is no way to take it back. I need to be able to issue a command to prevent -host AndroidData from being used if I don't re-authenticate myself with the -password argument. A button on My Accounts on the website could do this just nicely.
Bump.

[edit]

This in turn could also notify the server that the key is 127.0.0.1/localhost even though it's not, allowing for games that have "host" verbs.
Bump...
Would love to see this implemented.

I've been getting into the idea of hosting several older Byond games to see if I can kickstart some interest in them since I have a Linux VPS.

Problem being however that you can't host some games without a host key and I really don't see why you can't do that command line with the daemon.
Ran across another game that I'd love to host, yet I can't because it needs to confirm Byond membership but DreamDaemon doesn't allow you to put in host details.
DreamDaemon myfile.dmb 1234 -trusted -logself -host 'Xirre\nTom\nUser1\nUser2'

That could be a format to allow multiple users to be the host without actually showing their name on the hub, as Linux servers already do.

For Windows users, a key.txt file can be created that contains the same keys:

Xirre
Tom
User1
User2

Every \n or return would signal the start of a new user.
This would also be beneficial for Linux, if course. I'd put this to good use without a doubt. I'd immediately implement it in my current utility by allowing users to apply who they want to have host permissions on their games.

Not every game has the feature to easily manage who should be admin on startup. And not everyone has the sources to the game they want to host. This becomes a big issue when, on Linux, you can't obtain these privileges. I hope you guys implement this.
I think an api key would be a safer option (Remember, Never give out your username and password outside of secure.byond.com!), something that can be enabled on manage account and regenerated by the user if compromised.

This would make people like Xirre able to host for a third party 1) without getting the username and password directly, 2) getting permission from said user to host under their name.
In response to Pirion
Pirion wrote:
I think an api key would be a safer option (Remember, Never give out your username and password outside of secure.byond.com!), something that can be enabled on manage account and regenerated by the user if compromised.

This would make people like Xirre able to host for a third party 1) without getting the username and password directly, 2) getting permission from said user to host under their name.

++ plis m8k 1t h@pp3n byond devvers
Bump, I get asked this at least two to three times a month..

Sadly all I can tell my clients is, BYOND doesn't offer this functionality, but theres a feature request from 2010 - here the link.
Had this pop up again in a support ticket..

Can you pretty please implement something here, even if it's just a general key other than Guest?
would really appreciate this feature
A way to assign a host key on linux servers would be great. We can assign role=root, but I haven't been able to assign full host key power. This would be great for game's like Lummox Jr's Incursion
In response to Naosama
In response to Naosama
This is long overdue, I'd like this to be implemented. Unless there is some reason it still isn't?
In response to Naosama
Well I'm sure Tom has read it, as its so old..

Maybe they're worried about people faking others keys, which would happen.

There's also the networking side, API or not DD will need to authentic the key somehow.

Perhaps they don't see it as beneficial anymore due to the fact the web client is here..

That said, I've been asked that many times it's becoming annoying not having an answer at least on that post, Tom if you could just mark it unfeasible or something I won't have to explain why it's not available to clients....
Authentication would be a must for sure. A way to do that that doesn't also pose a security risk to the host's own account is somewhat non-trivial. I haven't come up with a good idea of how to go about it.
Page: 1 2