The old DreamSeeker program on Linux used to generate a key.txt file and authenticate it (the functions are probably still in the libraries), couldn't you just have the host upload their local key.txt and authenticate off that if a key is passed to DD?
In response to Nadrew
Hmm, that might work; it wouldn't handle cases where the password updated or anything, though. I'd want this to be handled in a way that was fairly intuitive.
I'm sure the people asking for this feature are technically-skilled enough to manage the file uploading thing.

But if not, you can just expose the old DS login stuff and have the server generate the key.txt on success and use that. Maybe even having -host [key] check authentication of the key and ask you to login if it fails (or doesn't find the key in key.txt). It would probably be implied that the 'remember password' part would be default.

If someone changes their password they'd probably figure out the cause of their host key authentication failing pretty quick.

The stuff to authenticate on Linux is already there in the code somewhere though, so it's really just a matter of deciding how you want to hook into it. I used to host stuff using DreamSeeker on Linux if the game needed a host key, worked pretty good.
Sorry to be .. A dick.. But I'm kind of disappointed that no one could even be bothered to say anything .. 5 years ago..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Sorry to be .. A dick.. But I'm kind of disappointed that no one could even be bothered to say anything .. 5 years ago..

No offense to everyone else, but I agree. Everyone is off working on a web client and the win client isn't even complete.

You say it will allow us to do much, much more. Yet the web client most likely will not support interfaces on a 1:1 ratio and be fully compatible. Ever since using it I've had nothing but issues.

The whole point of BYOND is the simplicity. If I wanted to make a client in JavaScript, I'd use another solution that offers me the speed and flexibility that I need.

I love BYOND and I'm thankful for everything it's taught me, I just feel like the web client is redundant and I am extremely disappointed that the win client is becoming obsolete.

How can you promise us a better client if you didn't even deliver the first client?
In response to Lavitiz
The DS client isn't really relevant to this discussion, inasmuch as this thread is talking about setting a host key in DD on Linux.

But the webclient does have almost 1:1 support for interfaces and is darn near full compatibility, with very few exceptions. It's much more capable than DS ever could be, because DS is constrained by a lot of things in Windows. Of the bug reports for the webclient, I've already closed most of them. If there are others that still need attention and weren't fixed in subsequent updates, feel free to bump them up.

I really have no idea what you mean by "complete" when it comes to DS, either. DS is complete, in terms of the feature set it's meant to and physically can support; whatever bugs still need to be worked out, they're not being ignored. And DS is not being abandoned, either. But any further discussion on that topic really belongs on another thread.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

I can't speak to why I didn't say anything five years ago. Sometimes I just don't have anything relevant to say or haven't formed an idea of how to deal with something yet, and I don't always comment on feature requests. And threads can and do, unfortunately, fall by the wayside.

I still haven't figured out how I would implement this in a safe way, and other things have demanded attention in the meantime. I'll look into this more shortly as time permits, and see if I can come up with anything. It'll be on my short list of things to look at for 508. And there is an actual list I'm keeping for that, as a reminder to myself to post something here either way.
Is this already being worked on, or is it still not? Unless the work on this is already finished, but I still see it Open?
In response to Pine Real
Pine Real wrote:
Is this already being worked on, or is it still not? Unless the work on this is already finished, but I still see it Open?

Guessing he lost that list :'(

Simple way to implement this would be a randomly generated API key in the members area and DD accepts that as a parameter.

DD then queries the database, checks and I'm guessing the hard part? Setting the key as the host on the hub. Although my just my guess.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I still haven't figured out how I would implement this in a safe way.

The cheapest (in terms of time) would be to just create and add some kind of "hosting key" to the account page, hide it behind a reveal button to avoid accidental leaks from screen caps, and have it only be valid for identifying a game server to the hub. Make password changes change this token as well, so that there is an avenue to invalidating compromised keys

Add a cli option to both linux and windows dd for it (tg would use it under windows since our framework runs byond as a service so we can't interact with the pager to login to it). Name it something like -key or -hostingkey

Page: 1 2