ID:91994

Resolved
DreamMaker now has tabs for open windows (although you can't dock them into split windows as of this time).

CTRL+w = close
CTRL+tab = next window
CTRL+SHIFT+tab = prev window
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Copied from BYOND Features forum by Airjoe

Having a tab-based DM Editor is something I'm sure has come up in the past, but it was brushed aside back then because frankly the focus on other things was much higher.

I think, now, is a good time to bring it up again. I think all BYOND developers would benefit from a tab-based DM Editor wherein once you opened a file a tab for it would open up in a little tab bar up top( et al Notepad++ ) for that file. In addition, once you drag this tab away from the tab bar a window instead is formed wherein you can edit the file alongside whatever other tasks you might be doing.

This would be a great addition for multitaskers and people who want to get things done at a higher speed.
Is there a reason why this hasn't been added?

It would make Dream Maker a million times better if you could use tabs to switch between open files and have a split screen mode. I'm not big on split-screen in IDEs but for DM it'd really help because you often have related files - you'd want to look at the icon states in a .dmi file while you're writing code for turfs, or you might want to have a map open to check x/y coordinates while you're writing code.
I support this as well.
In response to Magnum2k
Magnum2k wrote:
I support this as well.

*Albro1 inserts comment to waste space so this post is validated as a contribution*
I'd maybe add in a toggle, or something; just in case anyone prefers the old or dislikes change but I definitely support this.
I support having multiple tabs for different files within the same project. I think it would make a good replacement for the "Window" menu. We already have a "File" and an "Object" tab, although the object one only seems to show anything when you have a map file open. The tabs you are talking about would probably have to go above the right pane (the work area), so that they are not confused with the existing File and Object tabs.

However, I also think that Dream Maker needs to better support opening things in new windows first, since windows are a more basic feature, and it would open up the possibility of dragging tabs out into separate windows, like in Internet Explorer. That way, you would have an option of either switching between tabs, or displaying multiple things at once, in different windows. Of course, if this was implemented as part of the same update, then we wouldn't have to worry about the order in which it was done.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
although the object one only seems to show anything when you have a map file open.

Double-clicking an object will take you to the code definition of it.
Yeah, I knew that, but for some reason, the objects don't show up there unless you happen to click on a map file or compile the project, but after that, they do actually stay.

Perhaps this is some kind of bug, but I don't really see why refreshing the map or compiling should have anything to do with the objects you coded being shown on the object tab. Why not just have them appear as you code them in? It could just refresh whenever you click on the object tab. It's not really a big deal though.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
like in Internet Explorer
I was thinking more like Chrome.

I agree that Dream Maker is the oldest-looking game maker I've ever seen. It's plain and boring and at first look it doesn't feel like anything fun could possibly come from it.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
I agree that Dream Maker is the oldest-looking game maker I've ever seen. It's plain and boring and at first look it doesn't feel like anything fun could possibly come from it.

Dream Maker isn't the only plain and boring IDE.
http://puu.sh/DS3A

In response to Magnum2k
I see graphical buttons at the top. That's awesome stuff right there.
Much wanted.
Shortcuts I'd like to see are:
ctrl+tab = switch to next tab
ctrl+w = close current tab
ctrl+e = open last closed tab
Tom resolved issue with message:
DreamMaker now has tabs for open windows (although you can't dock them into split windows as of this time).

CTRL+w = close
CTRL+tab = next window
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Tom resolved issue with message:

CTRL+w = close
CTRL+tab = next window

Respect.
You have to wait until the update is released.
Cloud Magic wrote:
I don't get it. I can't get the tabs to work on 496

The updates will probably be in the public (or public beta) release of 496.1138, not the 496.1137 release in the BUILD directory.
There's no need to derail this thread. 496.1138 will be out later this week. I don't think this feature changes much since the Windows menu does largely the same thing, but hopefully people will find it useful.
Is it possible to disable the tabs within DM? Not the tabs for indentations, but the tabs that show the different DM files that are currently open...

I hate these damn tabs so I want them turned off...
In response to Genesismagician
Window -> Show Windows in Tabs. If it's not there, grab the beta of 497
Page: 1 2