ID:92130

Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Well, I don't have much of a proposal except what to be added, not really where or how it should work, I have tried to think of something good, but haven't been successful.

1.Anyways, I want to be able to change a games sound level like Windows Media Player, turning my sound down does not work, because then other sounds go down too. Some games are so loud that I can't hear when I receive a page, it would be nice to be able to change the volume level.

2.I want to be able to mute a games sound, so if I am playing another BYOND game. The problem with using the Options & Messages thing is that it saves, I don't want it to start muted when I open DS under any circumstances, so I try not to switch this checkbox. I like working with sounds on an individual game, and individual session basis, if I like it muted, I will mute it.

Anyways, the pager already has a list of your DS windows that are open, and an options button, maybe these functions could be added there?

Some games do not let you into Options & Messages, which is why it should be in the pager.

One of those games is DragonBall Z: Heroes United 2 by falacy, even though his has a seperate volume and mute controls, a lot of games don't and even though has been asked for on the individual games, they have not complied.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 allow custom sound changing per application.
While, yes, it does, that thing that allows you to do it, tries to *remember* things, making it quite difficult to work with, as the program seems to have not one setting.

But then again, not everyone is going to update windows, if they have for example, Windows XP, or want to use the program that does it, cause the one that comes with windows does rather suck.

As for using Options & Messages, that setting is remembered, and not even on a per-game basis, so it might be good to be able to have control over it.
I have this same type of pet peeve. I like to listen to music sometimes when I play games, but I don't want midi music jumping over the music I play. I wish there was a simple easy way to cut off sound from a certain game. Like they did with macros. Where it saves what games are muted, and what games aren't. Also my Windows is a bit different, I have to go all in my computer to find REALTEK or whatever it's called, go through it's options and mute the game that is making the sound. It's a bit much to me when BYOND could make this easier as well. Please? =P
If you manually mute the different channels, you could find which channel the MIDIs are playing from and kill that channel. That's something I would like.
I agree DS needs better sound controls. The only reason this is in "Needs Discussion" instead of "On the List" is that I think we need a clear idea of what UI elements we'll need.
I think it would be great if there was simple sound panel that simply allowed you to adjust the master volume and mute it.

Then there could also be an advanced panel with a volume level and mute button for each individual channel that the game uses. I assume that this would mean that DM would have to keep a record of what channels the game uses upon compilation.

I guess there is a drawback there, looking at the reference, it says that there are 1024 possible channels... I guess DM could ignore a volume slider for sounds that are played through just any available channels.

Maybe if you give access to volume sliders for all used channels and if none are explicitly stated, then sliders for the first 8~16 channels could be shown.

But I digress...
Lummox JR wrote:
I agree DS needs better sound controls. The only reason this is in "Needs Discussion" instead of "On the List" is that I think we need a clear idea of what UI elements we'll need.

Right click from the task bar. Also available from the O&M window. Disable-able by control_freak. A simple volume option that brings up a slider to control the master volume level for that game.
If possible you could make the slider a part of the right click menu, extending out to the right when you hover over the volume option.
I'm not sure that I'd ever want the author to be able to disable volume control. Other aspects of the interface, sure, but a volume control is kind of important.
Lummox JR wrote:
but a volume control is kind of important.

A point made obvious by the expansive volume control system currently in place?
Right now sound is basically either an all-or-nothing proposition, and we already have the means to turn it off entirely which is not touchable by control_freak. The ability to exercise control over the end user's volume is simply nothing the author ever should have; there's no justification for it. The author can set their sounds at what they think is a good general volume level, and the end user can always turn that up (if possible) or down as needed.
As far as I can tell there is no way to turn off sound for one BYOND game without turning sound off for all BYOND games; unless the Developer of the game has included settings that most Developers don't seem to bother with.

My suggestion is simply changing it so that toggling Download Music and Sound Effects in Client Preferences has the option to only apply to the game you access it on or choose; kind of like how Macros can be for all games or the game you're on.

Any alternative method of changing this is welcome, I'd just like to stop having to mess with my sound settings so frequently.
In response to Toddab503
Bump.

This would be great to see for both managing music and sounds, along with the hardware/software rendering mode (The logging into games as guest when pager is offline option wouldn't seem to benefit from this, and doesn't seem to do anything anyhow.)

The pager settings could manage the defaults for any newly downloaded game, with any changes made from Client > Preferences being recorded for just that game (as is macros)

This would save the headache of frequently disabling and enabling these settings, especially since sound management is commonly handled poorly by developers.
In response to Toddab503
If you are using Windows 7, or Vista, you can toggle sound for each individual instance of DS.
In response to Super Saiyan X
I'm using Vista, and I've had no such luck? I think I can toggle individual instances of DS if I have multiple games running at the same time, but if I am running one game, toggle it to off, and play another game later it'll still be set to off.

It even stays toggled off if I toggle it off for a game I am playing, then go do a test run from the source of one of my projects. It's pretty annoying.