ID:92263

The Hub: I'll start off by just going over the hub at first. Now the hub is supposed to let someone know a bit more about the game before you join it. Viewers want the hub editors to be as truthful as possible, don't tell us your game is the greatest thing ever and no game of the same genre can top it (that is, unless you have the facts and proof to show it). The hub will tell us "PSe is one of the most open-ended, extensive Pokemon games on BYOND, allowing the player to tackle nearly anything desired on a BYOND-based pokemon game, such as ". But, this is false, even ShadowVoid said the game is still in alpha so that claim isn't really enforced with things to show. But lets hope the hub is mostly truthful.

Gameplay: When we login, we are presented with a interface designed for login / creation. When we're done selecting our gender and name we are sent to the selection maze. The selection maze is a zone where you will select what pokemon you want to be, as of now there are currently only 2 pokemon to pick from Zorua and Pidgey. The maze is also something we've seen done in Pokemon Aurora by Mechana2412.

After selecting whoever you want to be you are then sent to the world. Your first encounter will be with a nidoran named Nido, he'll tell you Pokemon will jump out of the grass at random and attack you and give you $200 and let you go! (Oh how joyous! hey buddy how are?? did you know dangerous creatures will come out and attack you at random, okay I love you bai have $200).

You head on over to the next small town to see whats up. Because this is alpha, nothing is up... The town contains a pokemart you can't enter, a snorlax that I don't know what the hell it's there for, and a cave where you can get a revive (something actually useful). When you leave the town a drug dealer...er, cradily will tell you to go have some awesome fun at the building zone, another factor found in Pokemon Aurora.

The building zone is a big grassy area that you can actually build, or spam the fuck out of it. Your current open choice is grass, road, flowers, and tree, and you can make your own custom objects.

There really isn't much else to do in the game's alpha stages. Kumori says there are systems done but they aren't added in, or even mapped areas. You can mess around with verbs that change your icon (not the best idea), and name colors, etc,etc.

From what we have so far, this game is more or less trying to emulate Pokemon Aurora by Mechana2412 (Kumori is a player of that game, and I assume a friend of the owner, so I guess they just want to have what they have and then some). But since Pokemon Aurora is changing itself up it won't be more of a new copy and probably branch off and become its own thing. Hopefully i'll be invited back to review later versions when there is actually reviewable content.

Presentation: this game makes use of the same graphic types others do, graphics taken from the handheld games (in this case D/P/Pt/Hg/Ss). But, at least this game has better mapping and doesn't use resized icons with a mix of normal sized tiles (but that good mapping could be killed with allowing players to build). The game makes use of a custom Zorua icon which is nice, the interface isn't so bunched up but it also isn't filled up with useless things. A good thing in a game is to have a consistent graphic style which this game has (once again with the exception of allowing players to use their own icons which can kill the flow) and good mapping. This game provides those both.

Originality: well, the game can't be fully reviewed for originality because it isn't finished up. But i'll review with thats available. The game is different and original in the fact that it doesn't use the oddly resized sprites and mix generations (using R/S/E and fR/lG graphics mixed). and that it doesn't use the handheld rpg sprites and Mysterious Dungeon pokemon ones together, it uses the tiles and pokemon from Hg/Ss. There are no player-leaders or anything like that (and hopefully there never will be!), but the game so far looks like a copy up of Pokemon Aurora (minus the HUD set they have). But this game seems like it will be more battle based than RP and building. So thats pretty good.

Overall: Because of the Alpha stage and the current content, this game isn't that special or unique yet aside from the things like: better mapping from other pokemon games, no players own players, consistent graphics. The only issues in this I see is that there are little games that use the awesome battle system like the normal games, and I've never been so happy towards letting players use their own icons (easy to abuse) and building objects all over the game (luckily only in a building zone here). Hopefully this game will get better after alpha and show more signs of being different and not something that can be made in a short while. In regards to the hub, in my time I saw no quests, or this training style they speak of, but everything else was there but not to the full extent...

Like the other games, After gameplay I got really apathetic...
I'd post some screens but they'd be nothing different from what was shown on this hub, and I am unable to upload files. Hopefully i'll do a better review in later days
Thanks, man.
Yea+1
Very honest review, and better than I expected.
(The Snorlax is the current form of the dummy, I've been tweaking the system, therefore haven't designed an icon for it.)

I hope to have you review it again in the future.

Much obliged.
-Kumori
Shadow Void wrote:
Thanks, man.
Yea+1
Very honest review, and better than I expected.
(The Snorlax is the current form of the dummy, I've been tweaking the system, therefore haven't designed an icon for it.)

I hope to have you review it again in the future.

Much obliged.
-Kumori

He gave you a horrible review, and you thanked him for it? Humph..
It's not a horrible review in any way.
Dude, It's only in Alpha and I've only been working on it for a little over a month (Excluding the time I took to get graphics), and it still got said scores?

I'm sorry, but it's a very reasonable review.