ID:92295

Not a bug
BYOND Version:463
Operating System:Windows Server 2003 R2
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/straygames/ByondBugs/ 463BandyWidth.png
As you can see in the above link; on the first of the month, when using version 446 compared to the bandwidth usage at the end of the month using 463, bandwidth has become quite HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY.
After running tests with 461 clients required:
Inbound bandwidth was down slightly by around 15%, outbound was up by about 50%.
However, this was ONLY running the servers of HU. Which means it was probably only about 3/4ths of the normal player load.
Total daily bandwidth has pretty much doubled the past few days (compared to 446). And I'm still not running a full server load.
I have been experiencing some lag ever since I switched to 464.

Perhaps this whole "Nagle's Algorithm" deal should have a toggle so that games that don't need it don't need to use it?

I do hope things like sending updates actually only sends things that have changes vs. everything. I'd hate to see the HUD update all the time, even when nothing at all changed.
See the 463 release notes pertaining to Nagle's algorithm. Extra traffic is needed for greater responsiveness. Now, if this is truly problematic, it is possible that would could provide an "advanced" hosting option to disable this feature, but if the game relies on any "twitch" movement it will suffer.