ID:92473

Resolved
BACKGROUND_LAYER has been added, allowing objects to appear under the map in BYOND's extended map modes.
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
I'd like to see a feature that allows you to either set a background image or change the background color of the map (especially for isometric maps) so that beyond the edge of the map it isn't just black. I'd like to be able to change that black color to something else.
You could just lay colored tiles with density all over the map?
Albro1 wrote:
You could just lay colored tiles with density all over the map?

My isometric game doesn't use a map, as in a map file. it just has world.maxx and world.maxy set, so that wouldn't apply to my game.
For non-isometric maps, this can be easily done by adding an object to client.screen with a low layer and your desired icon set.

For isometric maps... hm. Good luck.
Android Data wrote:
For non-isometric maps, this can be easily done by adding an object to client.screen with a low layer and your desired icon set.

For isometric maps... hm. Good luck.

Well for non-isometric maps you can just turn on the EDGE_PERSPECTIVE bit for client.perspective, so in a non-isometric map it wouldn't really be an issue. Isometric is where the problem is
Try this:

obj
hudobj
bgcolor
icon = 'background.dmi'
layer = AREA_LAYER

mob
Login()
. = ..()
spawn()
var/obj/hudobj/h = new/obj/hudobj()
h.screen_loc = "1,1 to [screen_width],[screen_height]"
src.client.screen += h
return .

This will create a single object on the HUD that tiles itself across the entire HUD, but shows under all turfs. You can also use a single PNG sized to the user's screen size, and put that on the screen for a panoramic image as well. You'll have to put that one at the top left corner of the screen, though.

[edit] Whoops, already been mentioned. This will work for isometric maps if you do the math right. I think you just need to position it so that the y axis is 2/3s as dominant as the x axis.
Ter, your method won't work for isometric maps because screen objects never appear behind the map in isometric mode. We're considering a special layer to address this.
Ter13 resolved issue with message:
BACKGROUND_LAYER has been added, allowing objects to appear under the map in BYOND's extended map modes.