ID:92526

Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Interesting
I hope you realize what "lossless" means: .flac files are only slightly less in size than .wav files of your favorite music.

A 3 MB MP3 file usually stems from a 35 MB FLAC file, usually recorded directly in a studio!

Seriously, you're better off converting FLAC to OGG.
Android Data wrote:
I hope you realize what "lossless" means: .flac files are only slightly less in size than .wav files of your favorite music.

A 3 MB MP3 file usually stems from a 35 MB FLAC file, usually recorded directly in a studio!

Seriously, you're better off converting FLAC to OGG.

OGG is actually only a container file.

One of the audio types OGG handles is actually FLAC.
For all you know, those .ogg files you have may very well be FLAC files wrapped inside of an .ogg file.

You can read more about it on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
I'm not seeing why we'd need FLAC, when we have OGG, MOD, WAV, XM, etc - is there any particular reason you need FLAC and can't convert it from that to something else?
The Magic Man wrote:
OGG is actually only a container file.

Yes, but in the context of BYOND it refers to Ogg Vorbis.
DivineTraveller wrote:
I'm not seeing why we'd need FLAC, when we have OGG, MOD, WAV, XM, etc - is there any particular reason you need FLAC and can't convert it from that to something else?

I'd like to rescind my previous comment. Today I've come across a situation where I need FLAC contained in an OGG, because it's the smallest possible format I can get as of right now, and for some reason the vorbis file won't actually play, so I had to tone a FLAC down a lot, and that seemed to do it.
Supported.
I all for it.
FMOD Ex supports FLAC, so this should be trivial to implement.
In response to DivineTraveller
DivineTraveller wrote:

Mostly so that we don't have to spend the costly time converting all of our sound files into lesser formats.
Actually, BYOND does already support FLAC, if you rename the extension to something that it advertises support for. (Similar to MP3.)
In response to Complex Robot
Complex Robot wrote:
Actually, BYOND does already support FLAC, if you rename the extension to something that it advertises support for. (Similar to MP3.)

That should be easy to fix on our end.

Due to our license agreement with FMOD, we are restricted to the version we distribute (which is a few years old), but if it supports this, we can too. MP3 isn't supposed to be supported for legal reasons-- and technically you can get in trouble for distributing such things-- but we don't have a reliable way to disable it.
I'm not saying BYOND shouldn't have FLAC support, but once again I feel this is another thing where if you're using FLAC you're doing it wrong. There's absolutely no reason to use a bloated FLAC when you can use an OGG with comparable audio quality at a fraction of the file size.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
I'm not saying BYOND shouldn't have FLAC support, but once again I feel this is another thing where if you're using FLAC you're doing it wrong. There's absolutely no reason to use a bloated FLAC when you can use an OGG with comparable audio quality at a fraction of the file size.

Is there a free, easy-to-use program for converting FLACs to OGGs? Or anything to OGG for that matter? Google searching, I found a free program that converts FLAC to MP3, but BYOND doesn't support MP3.
Complex Robot wrote:
Is there a free, easy-to-use program for converting FLACs to OGGs? Or anything to OGG for that matter? Google searching, I found a free program that converts FLAC to MP3, but BYOND doesn't support MP3.

freac (Formerly BonkEnc) should do the trick.
Audacity should also support importing/exporting both FLAC and OGG formats.
Complex Robot wrote:

I use Audacity for most of my audio editing.