ID:92860

Redundant
Applies to:Dream Maker

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7807/mapeditor.png

I am working on an RTS game, and I got some of the basic units and buildings made and was starting to work on the terrain, grass, mountains and so on. But had issues because I don't want my buildings to be isometric but I want the terrain to be Isometric. So I am putting up this post as a suggestion for BYOND's map editor.

Take a look at the picture, explains my suggestion.

My buildings and characters are based off of a 32x32 tile grid. I design all my graphics with Blender(3D Modeling program)and am not able to render a mountain at an angle in a 96x96 or other custom size ?x? without cutting off the mountain itself or having blank space within the 96x96 rendered window which would be transparent and place wrong on the map editor of BYOND. I render my images at an angle
I'm not really following your example at all, I'm afraid, nor am I sure what you're requesting.

If you mean you want a way to mix topdown and isometric, that's not so much possible. We do have the TOPDOWN_LAYER option but that's basically for having whole map areas render topdown in an otherwise isometric project.
How about allowing an isometric map to not just be limited to a diamond but you can make it a square so the sides would all have jagged edges. I am trying to design a custom map editor where the terrain is isometrically placed, but the movement of units is top_down view and placing buildings is top down view. Sorry if this is hard to follow. If you have ever used Starcraft's map editor, you might be able to have an idea of what I am trying to get across.
I am going to for now try another way to make the terrain, if BYOND is able to some how do this in the future. I always have the graphics I can rerender.
If you mean keeping the same layout but not limiting how the icons are drawn, you could use jagged-edged sides right now. Isometric only concerns itself with how to position and layer the icons; it does no special clipping to the diamond shape.

If your goal is to have a separate topdown view where you can place objects but have the main map show an isometric display, it seems to me that a HUD, possibly a secondary HUD, would be the best way to do it.
I think I understand what Sonder is requesting, and it is already possible. You can Import your "non iso" graphics that you have rendered using Blender, and then place them around your map as you see fit. As LummoxJR said, your items will not be forced into diamond shapes.

For movement, you only need to adjust the default directions so that pressing the UP arrow (Normally goes North, which is the upper right corner of your screen in ISO) Actually moves your Mob Northwest.

You will also want to increase the X,Y, or Z values of your non-iso mobs/objs so that they show properly if they are larger than your base icon size.

Here's a quick example: http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2606/imasquare.png
Ter13 resolved issue (Redundant)