Sidescroller

by Forum_account
Sidescroller
This library gives you the basic movement system of a platformer. You can make an action/platform game in minutes!
ID:930768

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Heya Forum_Account, we might have talked about it before. But I think one of the best features would be fluid swinging. That would open up the ability to make so many games, well like spiderman for example(Tho not a fan), but more like Bionic Commando would be amazing. I made a version of that exact game using your demo and a shooting library I made that worked just like the NES version, unfortunately my brother downloaded a horrible virus and had to reformat, losing the files. I had a 32 point swinging system which took me a long time and a lot of math and trig to figure out momentum and to be able to swing 360 degrees to go faster and faster and to swing from objects in a row to gain speed. I set it up to where you click and object within 128 pixels I believe and the hook would attach, using left and right to swing Space to pull closer, dbl tapping space to instantly retract and z to detract from the spot and finally letting go of the click(Well Drag) to unhook. Also added a weight system allowing you to pull objects weighing less than you just like the game 'Just Cause 2' which I was basing it more off of. I had a beta version of attaching your hook to a second object like in 'Just Cause 2' but was a little buggy. And only a 32 point swinging system isn't that much but it was good enough for me. Since you were asking for a request; I think doing what I did(Obviously you could make it a lot better) would be amazing. With maybe having longer hooks, and even a parachute and jet packs like Just Cause 2 and Soldat. Anyways a swinging demo/library, would be the best update you can make since the beginning of your pixel movement saga.
-My regards and gratitude,
Bakasensei

P.S. If you'd like to speak; page me, or i'm always on AIM as BadlyDrawnSmily([email protected]). Would love to hear from you and get some feedback on the idea, and would be honored to help wherever / if I could!
I'm not as active as I used to be so I don't know if I'll have the time to work on this.

There are two parts to this: the movement and the graphics. The movement is the easier part (though it's not exactly trivial) but BYOND makes it difficult to draw swinging ropes. If I get the time, I'll see what I can come up with.
Woah, this sounds like a really cool idea... and it might be being selfish of me, but i wish you(FA)'d come back so you can get working on stuff like this for the rest of us to benefit from? :3 Also much missed? :D. Really though.
Drawing the swinging rope is super easy now, using atom.transform.