So when are you releasing Disco Rebirth? You have a base and a title screen, you're basically all set.
Stephen001 wrote:
So when are you releasing Disco Rebirth? You have a base and a title screen, you're basically all set.

Nah my mapper stole my codez so now I'm making DBZ Disco Rebirth Shiro'ken Legacy and paying some kid $5 to make me a new base.
SilkWizard wrote:
Nah my mapper stole my codez so now I'm making DBZ Disco Rebirth Shiro'ken Legacy and paying some kid $5 to make me a new base.

God I hate rippers. Lets discuss rippers for the next 6 hours.
Stephen001 wrote:
God I hate rippers. Lets discuss rippers for the next 6 hours.

Yeah we definitely should. And then we should eventually make blog posts talking about how we're only going to make 100% original games from now on.
Now that's really frustrating.

Given my position in BYOND Anime I'm not exactly the most demanding person in the world on new IP, but the least I ask is that your game is as good as or better than our currently listed games if it borrows from the typical DBZ / Naruto branch of directionless RPG. I think the term is actually free-form, but I'm not a fan of being put in a field and told to go play.

Aside from the obvious issue that a lot of the games submitted to us don't meet that standard, I have to struggle with people who provide support for an application purely out of the fact it's original. Originality isn't something that factors into the very infrequent application reviews I do, because my job is to list good games and provide support and marketing for those games.

That said, I wouldn't swap some of the justifications provided to me for the world. "We got permission from the creator of the base, so it's pretty much original."
Yeah coming up with a solid set of standards for BYOND Anime games would be difficult. Often the crazy popular games are some of the worst.

I think that BYOND Anime is becoming such a different animal that it ought to break off into a completely separate website. It would allow that community to grow without being the black sheep that everyone hates, and it would make the rest of BYOND much more attractive to potential serious developers.

And who knows, maybe it would give the more capable BYOND Anime developers incentive to "graduate" to making new original games for the main site.
SilkWizard wrote:
Yeah coming up with a solid set of standards for BYOND Anime games would be difficult. Often the crazy popular games are some of the worst.

I think that BYOND Anime is becoming such a different animal that it ought to break off into a completely separate website. It would allow that community to grow without being the black sheep that everyone hates, and it would make the rest of BYOND much more attractive to potential serious developers.

And who knows, maybe it would give the more capable BYOND Anime developers incentive to "graduate" to making new original games for the main site.

I'm pretty sure I suggested something similar to this once.
To seperate BYOND from BYOND anime because guilds were not doing a good enough job and BYOND anime was negatively effecting other parts of BYOND.

I got told it was a bad idea, would never happen, and that if I didn't like it then I should leave BYOND and stop using it.
Yeah I agree that separate websites would alleviate the majority of the community problems.

Non Anime users don't like to wade through posts and games that we find to be under a certain standard. And Anime users likely don't enjoy being incessantly picked on by the rest of the community.

Kind of a win/win scenario. This is why I liked the site a lot more during the pre-guild era when it was divided between Published/Unpublished games. I mainly hung around in the former, and rarely had to deal with anyone from the latter.
You'd have to soothe concerns of lost revenue in the transition for this to really stand a chance. I'm sure Tom is all ears on a more viable business model that doesn't violate the "free BYOND" idea.
oh this post is so lulz worthy. I couldn't agree more on everything you said.
Meh I just donate to BYOND. I consider that to be my way to help BYOND.
Haha, love it.
Stop organizing stupid little contests.

Those little contests, such as GIAD and even the #byte series seem to motivate a few developers into making games.

There's always a couple of good little games that with a bit of polish could be really fun, submitted by the conclusion of these events.

So I'm just going to say you're wrong.

Stop trying to figure out how to promote BYOND across the internet. STOP.

No.
Devourer Of Souls wrote:
Tom wrote:
I really like this post,

... Really, Tom?

Yes. While the post is too blunt for my tastes and I disagree with some things (such as helping promote BYOND through social networks and what-not being a waste of time), I do like the fundamental premise. That is, the best way to help BYOND is to make and advertise good games. Sure, it's an obvious point but one that it doesn't hurt to reiterate once in a while, as we forget that BYOND is a game creation tool just as much (if not more) as it is a community.
Tiberath wrote:
Those little contests, such as GIAD and even the #byte series seem to motivate a few developers into making games.

The contests are a great thing if they can get some momentum behind them. This is because the force people to act-- some developers are sufficiently self-motivated but a lot of times they need a deadline to make things happen, and that of course can lead to greater things. The problem is that so often these contests don't garner enough interest and just leave a feeling of incompleteness. That is partially a reflection of the community, since it takes a certain critical mass of participants to make these events successful.
Tom wrote:
The problem is that so often these contests don't garner enough interest and just leave a feeling of incompleteness.

Exactly. BYOND has reached the point where most contests are just a desperate attempt to motivate people. A well planned contest with a lot of participation would be great; instead we get half-baked contests that end up never getting judged or die off do to a lack of participation.

I think that the last big contest someone ran was literally called "Get Something Done", with no deadlines and Everyone's a Winner! rules. You couldn't have done a better satire of BYOND contests if you tried.

Tiberath: I'm not saying that BYOND shouldn't try to promote itself. What you're doing with Twitter and Facebook is obviously valuable.

My point is that the average user would be of much greater benefit to BYOND if they spent their time making an original game, then promoted that.
The reason most of the BYOND competitions fail from inactivity is because they don't offer enough of an incentive to warrant the time and effort required to actually make a game.

Most competitions incentive is a (x * BYOND Membership) for the winner, ((x - 1) * BYOND Membership) for the runner up, and if you're lucky, maybe a small insignificant cash prize.

Which is why I coined this idea for BYOND Casual. It's not a great deal of money (well, it is to me, since I'll be fronting the bill), but it's hopefully enough to warrant some participation from the community.

Tiberath: I'm not saying that BYOND shouldn't try to promote itself. What you're doing with Twitter and Facebook is obviously valuable.

It'll be valuable when I settle into a routine and find things noteworthy to point out. At the moment, I'm literally grabbing straws.

My point is that the average user would be of much greater benefit to BYOND if they spent their time making an original game, then promoted that.

Oh, then I completely agree.
SilkWizard wrote:
You're telling me what not to do and lurking a chat program.

I have no problem with you, thus I don't really care. Artemis really has nothing to do with the issue and even if you were actually in the game you wouldn't find me talking about anyone.

I'm telling you what to start doing in helping others develop games, I understand that you're developing one yourself...Now your next step is to help others.

I find posting blogs just as unproductive as making another DBZ/Anime knock off rip.

If you're going to post something, do what Audiophiles and many other guilds that help the community grow. TEACH others methods and guide them to LEARNING how to become better at art, music, game design, programming, etc.

The whole reason why nobody wants to finish a game, is because they lack the skills to do so. Maybe if our community had more skills and spread it around, just a little, maybe we'd have enough freelancing artists/composers/coders that would work together in teams.

That's the problem, you can't do EVERYTHING yourself. I draw (look at my blog), I don't program. There is no way I can do both without sacrificing quality.
Neblim wrote:
If you're going to post something, do what Audiophiles and many other guilds that help the community grow. TEACH others methods and guide them to LEARNING how to become better at art, music, game design, programming, etc.

Nope. There isn't a lack of resources out there to learn DM. There is a wealth of libraries, demos and tutorials, and there is never any shortage of people who help others on the coding problems forum. Not to mention the fact that there is over a decade's worth of questions and answers that you can access with a simple search of that forum.

The problem is that only a small fraction of people are making games. BYOND doesn't need another tutorial. It needs some darn games.

Ryan Deux:
I'm telling you what to start doing in helping others develop games, I understand that you're developing one yourself...Now your next step is to help others.

The #1 thing that I can do to help BYOND is to make NEStalgia as good as it can possibly be.

I have no desire to help others see their projects to completion, nor should they need my help. If someone can't self-motivate themselves, no amount of help from me is going to fix that.

Neblim wrote:
That's the problem, you can't do EVERYTHING yourself. I draw (look at my blog), I don't program. There is no way I can do both without sacrificing quality.

Some people are skilled in many different aspects of design, and some aren't. Depends entirely on the person.

Like I said in this post, anyone who can't make a game on their own should find a team of people to compliment their strengths and weaknesses.
Page: 1 2 3 4