Careful now, if you make an Inindo game you're going to confuse the hell out of a very large amount of children when you try to explain what a real ninja is.
@ The people:
My coach used to always tell us "Listen to the message not how it's delivered".

When I hear someone say something the first thing that comes to mind is. Okay? Who is this guy? Why should I hear what he has to say? What are his credentials? If the criteria is satisfied then it should be all ears.

SilkWizard wrote:
The first thing that most BYOND 'developers' do when they decide to create a game is to make the title screen.

A few posters claimed that it's already known "what not to do". The real question is what "should" one do? I feel this question should only be answered not from someone who is a skilled programmer or pixel artist but only from the perspective of someone that has finished some decent games(Hey. Proelium kept me occupied for 3-4 years >.>).

I had heard always the the first thing a developer should make when creating a game is the interface but here it almost seems like you're trying to say something different. I would be interested to see a post from you containing the first to last steps someone should take to creating a game . Perhaps they'll be something different in your approach and common perspective's on development can be influenced.

The central concern of this post is underlined. Assume the developer can program and pixel just like you could.
Personally, I think the interface isn't exactly something you should be doing first. If you have a full-scale game already in mind, and aren't just screwing around in DM and putting things together. You'll likely have a general idea about what you want your interface to look like. But the last thing you're going to want to do is finish your interface first, because halfway through development, you might change your mind on something, and suddenly all that time you spent making an interface has gone straight out the window, and you're back to the drawing board.

You want a tip of what you can do? Write everything down. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is when you come up with an idea, and I mean any idea, is assume that your memory will hold on to it. Open up notepad whenever you're on your computer, no matter what you're doing. Any ideas that you have, even if they're irrelevant to what you're doing or working on, put them there, in detail.

I was going somewhere with this, but I don't know where, I lost my train of thought when I tried to correct the spelling of 'irrelevant' and it crashed Google Chrome. Oh well... anyways.

http://www.squidi.net/three/index.php

I bet that's where most of those came from.
Hulio-G wrote:
I would be interested to see a post from you containing the first to last steps someone should take to creating a game . Perhaps they'll be something different in your approach and common perspective's on development can be influenced.
The central concern of this post is underlined. Assume the developer can program and pixel just like you could.

This is a really good question, and fits right into a post that I've been planning to do on NEStalgia's early stages. We'll see if I can get a blog post up about this today or tomorrow.
Mikau wrote:
Careful now, if you make an Inindo game you're going to confuse the hell out of a very large amount of children when you try to explain what a real ninja is.

That would be part of the fun.

They'd also get confused at the idea of ninjas not coming from horribly named 'hidden' villages I'm sure.
This is required reading:

http://gamedesignconcepts.wordpress.com/

And no, just reading that doesn't make someone a good game designer, it just potentially makes them less terrible.
Nathandx82 wrote:

Jesus and I used to think the phrase "tl : dr" was ignorant.

// too long didn't read.
For those of you not up to date with 2010 lingo.
Hulio-G wrote:
Nathandx82 wrote:

Jesus and I used to think the phrase "tl : dr" was ignorant.

// too long didn't read.
For those of you not up to date with 2010 lingo.

that isn't 2010 lingo. ;p
I read your blog post and I thought "will you have my babies?"
Hmm..A Call Of Duty Game ..Is That A Good
Destinyfighter wrote:
I read your blog post and I thought "will you have my babies?"

lmao
On the subject of contests though, BYOND could take a few pointers from the way Pixel Joint does it, as you can see the winners and contests are displayed on the front page or at least a place where they can be easily found and they are done regularly instead of someone having to search them out and as to awards you get a little ribbon :D, I'm sure that most people here wouldn't go for this but I guess that would have something to do with their mindsets and how they aren't use to being satisfied with just the feeling of having known they've won something or other and a new blue ribbon so I guess there would have to be some reward but it doesn't have to be $150 from BYOND or anything I'm sure the younger ones among us would be fine with less and the more mature people out there with a little time on there hands anyway. Back to the point which some of you may not have been aware of is that the contests on Pixel Joint aren't small contests hosted every century by some random person hoping to desperately motivate everyone they are hosted regularly and are announced for everyone to see. Also I'm almost positive a feature for contests to be shown on the front page or that community page was requested a little while ago so I'll go bump it or something. Now I'm afraid if I continue I'll start to get repetitive so I'm going to stop here.

EDIT: Found it - http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=2453
Page: 1 2 3 4