ACWraith wrote:
Hiding the impulse clicks is a rather petty way of impeding both a site that needs advertising and those who wish to promote you. Anyone who wishes to link without your permission will just do it manually.

I do have very little respect for those who deliberately remove the Facebook buttons or who think it's a bad idea simply because they don't like social networking.

Here's the situation: Social Networking has millions upon millions of users, and tapping into them could help bring a few of those users here.
Movin' on up!
I am not really understanding people's reaction to a feature they don't need to use. You don't NEED to get a facebook account, you don't NEED to click on the share links and share blog posts. If I share your blog posts by clicking the link, it goes on my wall, pointing to your surprisingly not personally identifying blog post. You aren't revealing anything about yourself to family and friends by having a link sat there passively on the slugline of your members page posts. However, by having it there you are opening up the opportunity for OTHER PEOPLE to share your content with THEIR family and friends and thus introduce the BYOND site to a potentially huge market of people.

If you weigh up the potential costs and benefits of this, wanting to hide the share link becomes a mind bogglingly retarded activity. You don't like facebook? Great, then don't use facebook. Other people do and they might want to share your blog post with their friends, this feature makes that process trivial. "I don't want to advertise facebook", you aren't. If people used facebook specifically because they saw a share link (just the share link mind), then you might have some cause for this concern. But they don't. Either they have an account already, or they've chosen not to get one because it doesn't appeal to their interests. The segment of people that don't know facebook at all probably don't come here.

It's a really bizarre and almost entitled thing to come across. What is this I don't even.
Definatly a step in the right direction, could be a great way of voicing BYOND to more target audiences
Tetsuya wrote:
I see your point, I guess if it does bring more people to BYOND its a good thing. Just having to turn to social networking to do so in my opinion just sucks. Surely with some of the great minds on BYOND we as a community could have come up with a better option.

That's a self-nullifying statement. The community didn't come up with better options. It's become painfully clear to us though that in this brave new Web 2.0 world, sites rely on being shared through social networking to survive. Digg for some reason has us on their notoriously capricious blacklist, and Wikipedia doesn't list BYOND because we lack notoriety by their equally capricious definition.

Facebook and Twitter are all the rage right now; that kind of energy needs to be harnessed in our favor for the good of BYOND, and maybe it'll even bring some more good developers like Leftley our way. And although I think both sites are faddish, I'm under constant pressure from my family to sign up on Facebook because they now do all their communication there. (I didn't find out about my cousin having her baby until about a week after the fact because no one bothered to call me; it was all on Facebook.) I might yet sign up, though I won't be joining my mother in playing Yoville anytime soon. Point is, people are spending considerable time and even money on those sites, and any increase in BYOND's exposure would be a pretty huge percentage jump.

But like others have said, I don't get why anyone is viewing these changes as even potentially negative. If you're not into social media, the new links are meaningless to you; if you are, they're a darn convenient way to share a blog post or game you might not otherwise have thought to share. Seems to me like this is a great way for new developers to hype their games.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Online-Games-with-BYOND/ 393784178242#!/group.php?gid=2227770665&ref=ts

... there already is a facebook group boasting 300 more members than the other you linked... sorry if someone brought this up I'm far too lethargic to read through the other posts...
Mr.Tophat wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Online-Games-with-BYOND/ 393784178242#!/group.php?gid=2227770665&ref=ts

... there already is a facebook group boasting 300 more members than the other you linked... sorry if someone brought this up I'm far too lethargic to read through the other posts...

That's fine. Basically the difference is a matter of who runs it and can push content.
Yeah, this is more of an "official" page since we'll be able to automate posts and membership in the future. For instance, we might provide contests and events for members of the group (with the idea being that the more people in the group, the more chance BYOND will get exposed to new users via the members' friends). In order to do this, we'll need a way of connecting a facebook id to key (which can be kept internal if the owner desires, since I'm sure a lot of people don't want to connect their IRL identity to their BYOND one).

However, someone ought to post a message there to direct people to the new fan page. That old group has been around a long time so I bet a lot of the members don't even use it anymore.
What's even more baffling about people not wanting Facebook links on blogs they pay for is another group of people getting bent out of shape over it. It's a very silly thing to have "very little respect" for someone over.
At some point, we should have the option of having the medals we earn posted on our BYOND page. In itself it's useless since we can always manually post them, but nobody would actually think of doing that. However, if it's automated it's just another way to advertise our favourite games.

Before anyone gets all bent out of shape, this should be defaulted to off, and only happen if BYOND knows what your Facebook is. I believe World of Warcraft has an application similar for their achievements.

And before you get even more bent out of shape, if you're worried about people you know in real life, finding out that you play games on the internet, you shouldn't be posting here to complain about it. You should likely stop playing games on the internet, and start seeking a therapist to talk to you about your insecurity. There are lots of people on here with family and friends know that they create and play 2 dimensional games, and guess what? Their family and friends still have respect for them, and they likely still get laid by their significant other. So get over yourself.
Honestly the "Share on Facebook" does not need to be there, just the little F will suffice. Alot of other blogs and websites do this but they dont put share on facebook beside it. I'm pretty sure you could add twitter and myspace, as long as they were nothing but little 20x20ish logos beside each other.
IcewarriorX wrote:
Honestly the "Share on Facebook" does not need to be there, just the little F will suffice. Alot of other blogs and websites do this but they dont put share on facebook beside it. I'm pretty sure you could add twitter and myspace, as long as they were nothing but little 20x20ish logos beside each other.

The word "Share" should be bumped to the left, and have the "F" logo beside it on the right, then the myspace/twitter logos can go beside them.

Share: F M T
Mikau wrote:
The word "Share" should be bumped to the left, and have the "F" logo beside it on the right, then the myspace/twitter logos can go beside them.

That would probably look the best. As it is, the Facebook link creates a line break at the bottom of my posts.
Mikau wrote:
IcewarriorX wrote:

Yeah, that.
Tiberath wrote:
ACWraith wrote:
Hiding the impulse clicks is a rather petty way of impeding both a site that needs advertising and those who wish to promote you. Anyone who wishes to link without your permission will just do it manually.

I do have very little respect for those who deliberately remove the Facebook buttons or who think it's a bad idea simply because they don't like social networking.

Here's the situation: Social Networking has millions upon millions of users, and tapping into them could help bring a few of those users here.

Oh so Lummnox JR can make more money byond has made over 130,000 dollars just from memberships so yeah.

This isn't including the ad clicks and the donations.
Lummox JR gets paid for the programming work he's done. It's like his full-time job. Most of the updates in the years since Lummox joined have been mostly due to his effort and work.
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Lummox JR gets paid for the programming work he's done. It's like his full-time job. Most of the updates in the years since Lummox joined have been mostly due to his effort and work.

But he is charging way to much for membership and never takes our ideas for consideration.

People pay 18 bucks a year for there memberships so they have the right to hide if they wish.
Mikau wrote:
IcewarriorX wrote:

Myspace shouldn't be one,Kids play this and some might make a myspace because of byond.
Ryuk25 wrote:
But he is charging way to much for membership and never takes our ideas for consideration.

It isn't just him who gets all the money. Memberships pay for the servers on which the hub and website are hosted on. Memberships are the only way BYOND gets money, a business needs money to run. A business needs money to pay people. Also, 'he' isn't charging for memberships, BYOND is. 18 or 15 dollars, whatever it is now, for a year. That's one dollar, and fifty cents a month. Do you really think that is too much?

Also, he does take 'our' ideas into consideration. But no one is going to add ideas with no backbone or real usage.
Page: 1 2 3 4