ID:93638

Not Feasible
Applies to:DM Language

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Duplicates:id:94974
I want to create a nicely done animated introduction to my game, but I cannot find an easy solution to doing this. It's more trouble than it's worth to "hack" the internet browser to do a swf flash video file to do your bidding for such a feature. Why not just, like sound, easily implement video files to be played with a simple [insert here] into the DM code.

There is a vast amount of different c++ libraries out there that can prevent the issue of "reinventing the wheel", which I'm sure you're aware of, just like how I assume sound was implemented.

For the issue of videos being large sized, not all videos are large, depending on resolution, quality, and time. It should be up to the developer to allow for larger downloads anyway. We may want to give a good presentation for our game easier.
While sound is an integral component to gameplay, non-interactive video is not--at least not in the kinds of games BYOND excels at. This is unlikely to be implemented as a native feature, but if it was considered it wouldn't be a high priority.
Well that's ridiculous. I would love my game to excel at this. I am an artist and a writer, I want to INTRODUCE my game with a good presentation without it looking so amateur. So are you telling me to go make a giant GIF to do this...? GIFs dont even play sound...

I understand the priority of it may be low, but to outright chunk the idea ENTIRELY on the grounds it's not going to be widely used? Well I'm using your isometric system, which is hardly used at all... Just because there are a lot of amateur developers on Byond, doesn't mean I want to be one of them...

Hate to break it to you, but there's almost not a single game on the market today that doesn't use a good video introduction, for good reason, it attracts the player to stay and listen to the story that's about to unfold on them. Even back in the days of the NES/SNES when it started getting popular it made the game a lot more appealing to play.

I'm not trying to piss you off in any way, but I want to excel Byond's capability.
The use of video intros in games is a recent innovation. Mind you when this was done in NES/SNES days, they were basically just using the capabilities of the system they had (via sprites and such) to display such a thing, whereas you're talking about full modern video with codecs and such, which is a completely different animal and essentially did not exist in any meaningful way prior to the PlayStation. It's far more common now in games that are 3D-rendered, whereas I think you'll find few examples of the kinds of 2D games BYOND does that use intro videos with a completely different graphical quality.

I don't think however that it's nearly as hacky as you think to display a video in a browser control. I think I could work out much sooner how to display a video using our existing capabilities than by spending the time to graft in a C++ library for a limited-use feature. We may well want to revisit this down the road, but it doesn't make sense to invest that kind of time on it now.
Yeah, I would think to just wait until HTML5 is popular and display some h.264 with a browser control. Shouldn't be too long now.
Actually that's probably the least viable option, unless we ever manage to fully switch our browser engine to Gecko. Waiting for IE to add HTML5 support and not screw it up, then waiting for the installed base of IE 6-8 to upgrade, doesn't so much seem feasible.
Actually, Firefox is completely screwing up with HTML5 video because they're not going to run with h.264 due to patent restrictions. Chrome or IE are going to be the best bet with HTML5 video. Microsoft and Google have the money to throw around to grab the codecs, while Mozilla will likely be standing on principle.
Well heck, it's not like h.264 is the end-all anyway. Plus, technically Firefox should be able to use whatever codecs are already on the system. But the point remains, IE is not HTML5-ready and even once it is it will have a significant installed base in older versions.
Mozilla has said they will not rely on codecs existing on the system, and yes, h.264 is effectively the end all because Theora sucks in comparison.
There are other codecs besides h.264 I mean; I'll take your word for it that Theora sucks. Seems stupid that Mozilla won't be using the system codecs, but maybe that's a security thing. Then again they've made some other highly questionable, by which I mean retarded, decisions in some recent releases.
Effectively they're whining that h.264 is too patent encumbered and, even though they probably could afford it, it does not align with their Free Software philosophy. They didn't seem to have a problem with GIF a few years ago though...

Anyway, we're way off topic now.
Well, IE8 and Chrome already support html5, in IE8 I am referring to Google Chrome Frame because IE8 obviously didn't actually support html5 but still, it's easy enough.

I am not talking about using html5 or anything, but an option to play video even if it's just BYOND having a browser control placed in the right spot like maybe over the map control, or just in the normal browser as it is now, to support using something like src<<Video(file) type format to play the video file. Videos are big, so maybe using something like this which will allow in streaming & also making it so the video would not have to be downloaded as a rsc for the game when you first join would be nice, that way the game download stays just as fast as it can be without also hindering them to download the file anyways to watch it at all, which is why it should support video streaming.<br/>
Even if only for byond members and such, and if only uploaded to the website of byond and stuff, it would still be a nice-to-have feature even if not widely used.

I myself have a byond membership of the account I use a lot. It's not this account, but still, anything that allows good video would be nice.
Ter13 resolved issue (Not Feasible)