Epic

by Yut Put
Epic
Explore epic dungeons and slay epic foes with your friends in a huge, epic fantasy action RPG world.
ID:942251

I decided that I should give open sourcing a test run with Epic.

I didn't clean up the source at all before releasing this, but for the most part I did a moderately okay job of keeping it modular.

It's pretty straightforward: Download the source, modify it, and then page me with a link to your mod and a description of why it should be granted a hub password.

Epic is ridiculously easy to work with. The #IDIOT PROOF folder is dated and was created for Blazekid, my friend who has zero programming experience, to use and expand the game. I don't know what you guys might do with this, but the IDIOT PROOF folder has just about all you'd need to create a dungeon.

Who knows what'll become of this. Oh yeah, spoiler alert. Also had some discontinued final boss related stuff left in there.

Click here to download the Epic source
Shouldn't of done that!
lrn2github: http://github.com
I'd just like to preface this by saying that if you do get Yut Put's permission to publish this on its own separate hub, please have him page me and tell me. I don't want anyone immediately making a new hub for this and going "that tut yut guy said i could lol".
Nobody will be receiving permission to post this on a separate hub. I'd like all hubs created for this to be rejected. I'm not expecting many, honestly.
Obviously if anyone did modify this they have access to your bubbly hub?? just curious or is this for educational purposes only?
They don't have access to the hub, because I removed the hub password from the source. This is for whatever people would like to do with it, but in order for their versions to be hosted on the hub they require the hub password that I am only giving out to select mods.

I honestly don't see any harm that can be done from this. Some people will use it as a learning tool, and others will find joy in expanding the game that I've finished.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
and going "that tut yut guy said i could lol".

Tut Yut lol.

Yut Put wrote:
I decided that I should give open sourcing a test run with Epic.

I think thats a great idea! I would however suggest that you perhaps consider a more approachable distribution / maintainability method, such as GitHub.

Putting it on GitHub will allow you to receive patches by users (I.e. other people fixing your stuff!), that you can then merge into the source-code at your own whim. It also lets you create issue tickets for bugs, enhancements, etc.

You can see it at work for JABB, f.ex, here: JABB
*adds one extra beam, codes myself in as a GM, changes the name to Epic Reborn, and starts hosting*
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
*adds one extra beam, codes myself in as a GM, changes the name to Epic Reborn, and starts hosting*

You made sure to give yourself the best items right?
Thanks, Yut! I definitely want to take good looks at this, because I've been very interested in how you did little things on your Livestream.
I'll be sure to use this to further my plans of world domination. THANKS!
(j/k. I'm just going to study the way you do things ;) )
I'm not the best role model. Most of what I do I have learned from ExPixel, and compared to him I look like a schizophrenic hoarder organization-wise
In response to Yut Put
I too have some organization issues but I'm learning to be better.
I'll attempt to make a mod for it and use it as a stepping stone to learn more. I doubt mine will get accepted and granted the hub password though because i'm probably one of the most novice programmers you'll find here on BYOND.

Edit:
Also, if you plan to make all of your games open source if this turns out to be a successful test and Epic gains more popularity due to modding... I would just like to offer my opinion. That would be a BAD idea... >.>"
I'm pretty sure Epic can never be more Epic than it already is......atleast unless Yut Put decides to start working on it again.
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
I'm pretty sure Epic can never be more Epic than it already is......atleast unless Yut Put decides to start working on it again.

Agreed.^
If anyone makes a "mod" to lower lag, I'd play it, I'd look into it myself, but I don't really have time for it...
I wouldn't mind glossing over things once in a while, but I'd want it to occur over github as patches or similar. The alternative is I have to download the source from Dropbox, mess with stuff, upload it somewhere, point to it, describe it, etc.
Page: 1 2 3