Epic

by Yut Put
Epic
Explore epic dungeons and slay epic foes with your friends in a huge, epic fantasy action RPG world.
https://github.com/Stephen001/Epic Just incase people like git cloning.
Yut can i use the music for my game?
it's all royalty free but it'll sound cheesy in your game after someone has already heard it in a more popular byond game...
How do u play the game after you download and open the folder with the source?
In response to Lightinstrike
You run the game. If you don't even know how to do that, you shouldn't be messing with the source until you learn how to develop games.
Well, if you know how to develop games you'd realize how awfully put together the source is...
In response to Lightinstrike
Lightinstrike wrote:
How do u play the game after you download and open the folder with the source?

Click on one of the files inside of the folder to open the source code. Then in Dream Maker, click "Build" up at the top and then click "compile". After it finishes compiling, click "Build" again and then click "Run".
In response to Zane5494
You're quite literally telling him how to run before he can crawl. He doesn't need to be touching that source at all until he knows what he's looking at.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
You're quite literally telling him how to run before he can crawl. He doesn't need to be touching that source at all until he knows what he's looking at.

Why not, exactly?
In response to Alathon
Because he's going to end up not learning the language and instead modifying tiny bits of that source. He doesn't know what the DMB is or how to compile/run a source. It appears that he has just now started learning DM and wants to do it with a source. Learning from a source is fine, but you need to know what you're looking at. Tutorials to give him an introduction would go a lot further than him trying to learn the language from scratch via the source of a game.
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Because he's going to end up not learning the language and instead modifying tiny bits of that source. He doesn't know what the DMB is or how to compile/run a source. It appears that he has just now started learning DM and wants to do it with a source. Learning from a source is fine, but you need to know what you're looking at. Tutorials to give him an introduction would go a lot further than him trying to learn the language from scratch via the source of a game.

These forums have a really bad habit of people trying to preach unto others, especially with opionions they pass off as if it were the one single truth.

I think its fairly presumptuous to both try and dictate how someone should approach learning DM, as well as insinuate that them mucking about with the source-code would harm them.

As it just so happens, quite a lot of programmers start this way, myself included. Instead of trying to tell people what to do, why not support them in their quest to have fun, learn, or whatever, in the way they want. Promote a positive, healthy attitude towards things and I guarantee you, more people will pick up programming than otherwise.
In response to Alathon
I have to agree on this point. There's so many paths to enlightenment. And everyone's mind works differently.
Yeah, Albro, why you gotta preach so much?
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Yeah, Albro, why you gotta preach so much?

Yo Frog Man Wheres Your Funny Comment?

anyways i made u this

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
can i have a naurto source not a good one just a source
just give me a link when u find one PLZ
In response to Yut Put
Kevin MaCleod sounded cheesy after hearing it... everywhere.

Is there any piece of code in here you're particularly proud of? Like, something totally amazingly unique and compex that people would love to steal but can't because your code isn't... written in a way that's easily... copypastable. What do you think was the hardest thing to program, for example?
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Kevin MaCleod sounded cheesy after hearing it... everywhere.

Is there any piece of code in here you're particularly proud of? Like, something totally amazingly unique and compex that people would love to steal but can't because your code isn't... written in a way that's easily... copypastable. What do you think was the hardest thing to program, for example?

I have a simple but effective icon cache that handles a bunch of different transformations tailored for the game, I suppose..... there's also a system that auto-loads turf edges only when the player enters a new z level... hrm. It's also a decent example of how forum_account's libraries are used, including HUD Groups, pixel movement, and map instancing

...There really isn't anything spectacular about the code in this game. It's all simple stuff to program, that's why I had so much fun working on it(I didn't go overboard at all). I apologize for the condition it is in, I'm awful at organization and didn't initially plan on anybody reading it but me.

Kevin MaCleod is getting cheesy indeed, and that is why I'm writing my own music now. Warvania and all 2 of its music themes is my first completely independent thingy with music and sound and art and stuff :)
In response to Alathon
If we do that Alathon, we'll have programmers like Flysbad who have been asking questions for months, barely making any notable progress, filling the forums.
Filling, is a strong term. You'll have those people regardless, essentially, as it's in the nature of the platform to attract people with no prior programming experience, and our community has a number of young individuals. Their numbers or impact is largely unrelated to how the forum mentality is. The forum mentality does however, have a lot of potential to turn other people away.

Where the preachy habit gets destructive, in my opinion, is where you try and dictate someone's entry into programming, or capability for learning programming. Worse still, is such dictation seems to come from quarters who aren't especially qualified to make judgements on what learning mechanisms are effective for a person. I am not particularly qualified to do this, and so I try not to do so.

When you dictate in that manner, you discourage learning in general among some, and forced teaching for others. Forced teaching isn't fun, it's not usually very productive and the mentality that advocates it is somewhat naive and backwards. People have to want to learn, and their capacity for learning patterns and gaining experience will depend on their prior successes or failures.

Traditionally, the BYOND forums is actually very good at helping people learn programming, and if it's not great at it, it's certainly good at getting people into programming, by virtue of the helper's attitude. Most people, if not all here, are a product of that. You've probably had your grounding of programming and passion helped along at a very early stage by the BYOND forums, and a positive learning attitude.

The positive learning attitude isn't "Oh ho, I see that's some ripped source code there *flips the bird*". Which is essentially, what getting preachy and dictatorial about learning styles comes across as to most kids.
Page: 1 2 3