ID:95849

BYOND Version:467
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.3
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Randomly when people log in to Final Fantasy Legacy, their network delay is set to ridiculously high values, and with ridiculously high, I mean 100+, even 1000+, causing the subject player to experience extreme lagginess.
It also happens while playing. And - I think - most when lots of players are logged in (30+).

Also, it doesn't happen for everyone, some players never have higher delay than 10, and I've never had it higher than 5 personally...

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1: Login to Final Fantasy Legacy
2: If you get unlucky, your network delay will set to extremely high values, either immediately after logging in, or after a while of playing.

Expected Results:
Normal, low network delays

Actual Results:
High delays of 50 and up

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Not every time, nor for every player. Some have never had this issue, it seems to be a selection of players. Random? I don't know, it might depend on their hardware... or distance from the server?
In other games? The players say that Final Fantasy Legacy is the only game with this particular problem.
In other user accounts? This should be irrelevant.
On other computers? I haven't been able to test this, but it may have more to do with the type of internet connection.

When does the problem NOT occur? Seemingly at random...

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Well, for sure it didn't happen some time in the past, it started happening around the time when detection for off-screen large icons was added. (mind you, Final Fantasy Legacy does use a few huge icons)

Workarounds:
Manually setting the network delay to a lower value using the .configure delay command.
Would it not be possible set a fixed limit to how high the delay can get, like 10, for example?
The delay goes up in response to actual lag; it is not arbitrary. The delay value is the symptom, not the problem.

The problem would seem to be network lag itself, but we would need more data to work with to put any network issues to the test.
Lummox JR wrote:
The delay goes up in response to actual lag; it is not arbitrary. The delay value is the symptom, not the problem.

The problem would seem to be network lag itself, but we would need more data to work with to put any network issues to the test.

Well, I'll try and find out the specs of the server that is being used to host Final Fantasy legacy. I do know that it's a very fast server, and people seem to get those high network delays even when it runs perfectly smooth for all other players... And even if the server does lag a little, should it really give players such extremely high network delays?
This is the website of the hosting server, by the way: http://atpdevelopment.com/

Edit: I have part of the server specs: "Runs a dual OC48/OC192 connection. (5gb/s) The OS is debian."
Lummox JR wrote:
but we would need more data to work with to put any network issues to the test.

Well... what kind of data do you need? (aside from the server's specifications)