ID:95920

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Me and some of the BYOND Help guys were talking and thought it might be a better idea to have the BYOND Help forums a bug tracker instead. With the bug tracker it is easier to group content, label things as solved/abandoned, and enforce information requirements.

The forums would still be needed, but only for the general information and moderators forums.
At some point the tracker system is meant to become avaliable for users to make use of. Not sure when though.
In this case, however, it wouldn't be for normal users. I understand that the plan is for user created guilds to get them, but for now it would be useful if BYOND Help got one of their own.

There might be an issue because, at least initially, the main BYOND bug tracker was tied to BYOND Help as the guild's bugtracker. It looks like that may have been resolved and now the DreamMakers/Developers guild has two trackers of its own.
I honestly don't think it'd be that helpful to have the BYOND Help forums function as a tracker. A lot of users end up being directed back there because they don't know how to use a tracker in the first place. Some barely know how to use forums.

Keeping that part in forum format would be easier, I think, for the average Joe to use and figure out if they have a basic problem.
Well, we have a big issue with information requirement compliance, duplicate issues, and resolution status notification. The vast majority of time spent by those helping on BYOND Help is tackling these 3 issue, which the bug tracking system handles a lot better than the forums.

If you can think of some ways we can improve these issues with the current system I'd love to hear them. We, of course, want to make things easier on the end user, but it seems the easier we make it for the end user the harder it is for the person trying to help.

Someone in the past suggested a browser plugin distributed with BYOND that would automatically give basic system information for the bug tracker, I think the idea mostly got shot down but something like this would save us a ton of 'Please fill out the form correctly' replies(which account for at least 4/5th of first replies in BYOND Help).
I think "please fill out the form" is an inevitable consequence of having to deal with people who lack communication skills. That the bug tracker forces users to at least try to fill in values does improve compliance with that, but even so we have users constantly filling out fields incorrectly. The template itself is ignored little less often than you see in Help. Most reports that come in with little to no useful information are swiftly booted back to the BYOND Help forums or deleted outright.

Sadly I think a lot of users need to be told "Help us help you", and I think it's a problem endemic to the whole Internet.
Helping the end user is important, but keeping the attention of those who can help them is equally, if not more important. BYOND Help fails without people who have the knowledge. And unfortunately, we're all not as humble and tolerant as Snagler.

I got very over replying the same things over and over and over again to different users who can't use a forum search to save their lives. So much so that I can't look at the "Software Problems" forum without cringing and immediately looking for something else to occupy my time.
The Greasemonkey script for form responses ought to help in that regard. I can't think of any way in which a tracker would solve the problem of users being clueless.
The greasemonkey script does help a ton, but it really doesn't do a complete job. Marking duplicates, for example, would be a fantastic tool for the issues that come up in BYOND Help. As it stands our greasemonkey script does cover the most common issues(port forwarding probably being the most common), but what we are dealing with is issues, and the issue tracker is built to handle this best.

And once again resolution status notification is something we are really missing. We have a forum dedicated to resolved issues, but this breaks the forum search.
Pretty much what DB said.

I don't see any harm in at least trying our the theory. If we're wrong, we can just go back to the forum. If we're right, we've saved us some time.
Looking through BYOND Help and Bug Reports, it strikes me how they are drastically similar in nature, and yet portrayed completely different.

I honestly don't have the attention span to read a lot of help forum posts any more. A long, long time of needing to reply with a pre-made response inserted into the page with Javascript tends to do that to you. I think I'd be able to do it a lot easier if the entire thing simply resembled bug reports.

Let's face it, we always need to know their browser, BYOND version, what the problem is, how they got the problem to begin with, and all of that other information. It'd be nice to have it formatted in a yellow box above the description of their problem.

(An added bonus is, on that rare occasion when a BYOND Help thread actually turns out to be a bug in the software, we can just move the post there for further analysis.)
In response to Tiberath
That makes some sense. The main difference between the help & bug stuff is that the majority of bug reports are in fact issues on our end, so we have to set the tracker status; while help stuff is usually user-error so the status would better be set by other users. But maybe we can come up with a compromise.
In response to Tiberath
The quickest quick fix I can think of is to let moderators change status on the help forum. And if that works out well, take it as a win. If not, at least something is in place to keep some order.

And added readability advantages make the idea of using that help forum so much more enticing. It's a lot harder to ignore text inputs than it is including it between HTML in a textarea. Especially if the form rejects posts for missing crucial information.

[Edit] Or even, take further advantage of your "Most helpful users" section. Grab say, the moderators, and any of the first ten most helpful users who aren't them, and you've got a reasonably active team. One that should be pretty good at being friendly and helpful.
In response to Tiberath
I think at a minimum we should require the same tracker info for Help posts. So the only other remaining issue is whether we want them to act more like the trackers with status inputs or like the dev stuff with voting.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I think at a minimum we should require the same tracker info for Help posts.

Indeed. The sticky in the help forum pretty much lays out a template for the exact same information. Give or take a few steps that should be common-sense to put in the problem description (like steps to reproduce it).

So the only other remaining issue is whether we want them to act more like the trackers with status inputs or like the dev stuff with voting.

I don't think the voting method will work in this situation. I love that more users are jumping into the help forums and trying to give a hand. But a lot of the time, they end up congesting the issue by going the wrong direction. Sometimes a problematic game isn't BYOND with permission issues, it's just a problematic game. That sort of thing.

With the tracker, they get to continue to help the way they do now. But if they start to go off in the wrong direction, it'll be easier to step in, correct them (and teach them a thing or two while we're at it) while assisting the user.

Not to mention things like: "BYOND Refuses to connect to games (Resolved: Firewall issue)" might persuade a few users towards checking their Firewalls first.
In response to Tiberath
The status of an issue shouldn't be set to resolved until it's confirmed that it is actually resolved. Which brings up the note that we might be able to force some users to come back and actually say "Hey, this is fixed." I found the most annoying part of helping people on the forum was that they would just disappear and you had no idea if they fixed their problem and are happily playing a game, or if your advice somehow blew their computer up and killed them in the process.

If someone makes a ticket for help, it should remain in their notifications without them having the ability to remove it until the ticket status is set to resolved. That way it will be a constant reminder that they need to come back and give us an indication as to what's going on.

In response to Mikau
Mikau wrote:
The status of an issue shouldn't be set to resolved until it's confirmed that it is actually resolved. Which brings up the note that we might be able to force some users to come back and actually say "Hey, this is fixed." I found the most annoying part of helping people on the forum was that they would just disappear and you had no idea if they fixed their problem and are happily playing a game, or if your advice somehow blew their computer up and killed them in the process.

Indeed! Moving posts to "resolved" was always tricky business. 'Cause you never actually knew if it was, unless the problem was so drastically easy that it couldn't be anything else.

If someone makes a ticket for help, it should remain in their notifications without them having the ability to remove it until the ticket status is set to resolved. That way it will be a constant reminder that they need to come back and give us an indication as to what's going on.

With this comes leaving the BYOND Atom red. I always feel unsettled when the atom is red, it means something relevant to me is going on and I'm not aware of it, so I always endeavour to remove it as soon as I login. And I imagine it's the same for a lot of users.
In response to Tiberath
Love that idea. Also, one thing we could do is have a list of frequent issues (eg firewall) readily selectable or linkable.