ID:965836

Well I was too lazy to write and screencapture this tutorial, so I have recorded a video tutorial instead. Basically what this accomplishes is you learn how to open a dmi file in photoshop/other third party software, perform detailed modifications (and I give some good examples) and then using TweakPNG you can actually preserve the DMI file comments and return the PNG file to a dmi file after the work you have performed is done.

This is saving me hours and hours on overlay drawing and icon tweaking so I hope that others find this helpful too.

Direct Link: youtube.com/WZdUL5jt6Hk

Summary: Rename the icon to be .png, Download TweakPNG, open the icon in TweakPNG, export the zTXt (second) chunk from the file, make your modifications in photoshop/other, open the file with TweakPNG again and import the same chunk directly under the IHDR chunk. And presto, a DMI file which you edited in photoshop. The video walks you through a few handy things for overlay making too.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for that, it's actually a very large help!

The only thing i could honestly suggest is making an add-on tutorial to help people set up a work station alike the one you have made. Showing them how to make separate layers/groups of layers to quickly navigate things. It might also be nice for you to supply what version of photoshop you use.
Your Desktop is empty :\
Haa, yeah so I have dual monitors, but for this tutorial I still moved everything from the second monitor to the first to keep it clean. I do agree that I could show more in terms of selecting layers, using stroke for outlining, etc. I might do a follow up lesson if I get enough interest.
You've got a good voice for this. Nice job.
Thanks, much appreciated.
still dont get it, dont know where to start
Yeah Great voice and great video!
Good job!
A very clever solution, good job!
Good job, but your audio has a super low volume.