ID:96687

BYOND Version:467
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.3
Applies to:Dream Seeker

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
If an opaque object is in the line of sight of a mob who's see_invisible variable is less than the object's invisibility variable, the object will block the mob's vision.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Create a test world containing some objects that are invisible and opaque. Walk around and notice that, though you cannot see the objects, you can tell exactly where they are and you can't see the tiles behind them.

Expected Results:
Mobs cannot see (be able to tell where an object is) invisible objects.

Actual Results:
Mobs can see the exact location of invisible objects.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?: Every time.
In other games?: In all my test cases.
In other user accounts?: Yes.
On other computers?: Have not tested.

When does the problem NOT occur?
The problem has occurred in all my test cases.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It looks like the problem has been in there for ages. I tested with the 3.5 beta (version 354) and the result was the same.

Workarounds:
I have found none. Sadly, someone is probably using this messed up behavior as a work-around for something else, making a fix liable to break those projects.
You can download the .zip versions in the build/ dir and run them without installing.
Tom wrote:
You can download the .zip versions in the build/ dir and run them without installing.

Thanks for the tip. I tried to download the zip from the main page, got the zipped installer, and got it stuck in my head that all the zip were like that. Thanks for the wake-up call.
No problem. Which main page are you referring to? The [zip] link on the download page should point to the non-install zip directory. I confirmed for myself but do correct me if you are seeing an issue.
Tom wrote:
No problem. Which main page are you referring to? The [zip] link on the download page should point to the non-install zip directory. I confirmed for myself but do correct me if you are seeing an issue.

When I said that I tried to download the zip from the main page, what I meant was that I've tried to do so many times in the past, and got the zipped up installer. The zip for the current download seems to have a proper zipped up directory, but if you check the history you'll find that this is hit and miss. Try downloading the zip for version 451.1033, for example, and you'll get a zipped up install exe.

Also, I went back and downloaded the installer for the 3.5 beta, and the results are the same, so this issue has been around for a while. It's such a rare circumstance (most invisible objects tend to be monsters, ninjas, items, and other non-opaque objects) that it probably hasn't been encountered too often.
Ah, yeah, we only switched to the new zip format recently.

We'll check out your bug, but if this behavior has been around for a long time we may have to keep it that way for compatibility purposes. The alternative is to only apply the update for newer compiles.