ID:96925

So, as I was surfing the 'net in my lounge room on my iTouch. I got to thinking how pathetically small the screen is, how much I didn't want to get my semi-broken 5 year old laptop to make the experience more enjoyable and what possible solutions I could invest in to make the entire 'net surfing experience in my lounge room a far more enjoyable task than it is now.

The key thing about me is, I don't like to be tied down to my desktop at all times. Considering it can get quite cold in this room (or quite hot, for that matter), or I can simply just get bored in here. Like now for instance, I want to surf the net, but I also want to lay down on my bed and watch/listen to a DVD of some kind, so I'm drawn between where exactly I want to be lazy.

Now as mentioned, I have a laptop. And that laptop has served me well for four of the past five years. Three of them it was my primary computer, until I bought the desktop I'm using now. And really, it's only use is surfing the net. But unfortunately, my home WiFi network isn't strong enough to reach my bedroom, but that's okay! I have a USB Modem to give me access to a prepaid 3G network with much faster download speeds. But! The laptop has no working sound card (it's there, but it is really broken, I could fix it, but I don't want to rip it apart again and tinker. I barely got it back together the first time! I did quite literally look like Iain Peregrine, only with less facial hair, more body mass and more hair on my head), thus making most of it's primary functions evidently pointless. I can't laugh at stupid YouTube videos, nor can I listen to music.

My iTouch is in the same boat as my Laptop. The WiFi network isn't strong enough to reach my bedroom, and my ISP actually has something screwy with it that breaks the YouTube application on my iTouch anyway. And it's lack of ability to use Flash is a real pain in the behind (wake the hell up Apple, flash is kinda important!).

So I started researching the iPad. Although apparently bound to some of the same limitations as my iTouch (FLASH, DAMN YOU!) it does have the same benefit of being able to connect to that same prepaid 3G Australia-Wide wireless network. And that is definitely a very good plus. It's screen appears to be bigger than that of my laptop AND it's considerably lighter and far less bulky. Three more pluses to an otherwise uninteresting piece of technology.

And the truth be told, I could go out and buy one tomorrow if I choose too. The unfortunate consequence with that is, if I should do so, I set myself back a minimum of $800.00 (note: I can't use the WiFi ones for aforementioned reasons, it's 3G or nothing). Which would put my new computer back by at least two months, my savings plan would remain to be as incredibly tight as it is now ($175.00 a week, sometimes leaving me with nothing more than $30.00 a week to spend (good thing I'm used to it...)).

But before I got crazy with cash and start buying every new random piece of electronic equipment I can get my fairly clean well built hands on, I'd like to really weigh the pros and cons. So far, they're a bit like this:

The Pros I could figure:
  • Easy access the internet from everywhere.
  • Easier to conceal than a laptop.
  • Far less bulky than a laptop.
  • Convenience factor is high.
  • Less screwing around than a laptop (start up times, load times, etc).

The cons I could figure:
  • Safari. 'nuff said.
  • Lack of flash capability (see Safair).
  • Easy to break.
  • Set desktop computer back two months.
  • Minimum $20.00 per month for said internet.
  • Requires iTunes and PC to update (Wait, just realised, AppStore on 3G network should cover this.
  • Inability to use BYOND

Comparing the two, you can see the cons has one more than the pros. However, since I only play like, two BYOND games anyway, I can just Telnet my way into Chatters using a Telnet app on the iPad and use Chatters that way. Negating the last con. Thus, the pros and cons are relatively even in terms of numbers. But I'm assuming there are things I've completely overlooked, there always is, hence why I'm rather sceptical.

Decisions decisions. I think the most logical course of action is to finish the desktop, then move onto the iPad. And just deal with mild discomfort when browsing the net using other devices available to me... Or come up with some fantastic quick-win to make the necessary money to pay this off. (I know! Donate to me and I'll fix up tiberath.com and start updating those stories on a regular basis like I initially intended too... If only it was that easy.)
For the record, I've caught myself using the word 'proc' instead of 'pro' nearly every time I typed it, and had to force myself to fix it.

Damn you BYOND. You've got me conditioned too damn well.

[Edit]
<--(11:01 pm) Schnitzelnagler: One more con, you're going to get a first generation device if you buy now. Which isn't exactly desirable with Apple, as the iPad Touch experience shows.
I'd finish the desktop and then wait to see if another alternative develops. To me, not being able to use Flash and properly browsing the internet is a too big drawback as of right now.
Tiberath wrote:
For the record, I've caught myself using the word 'proc' instead of 'pro' nearly every time I typed it, and had to force myself to fix it.

Damn you BYOND. You've got me conditioned too damn well.

I've done that same thing with that same word, as well as using mob in the word monday.

On-Topic: I'm not too impressed with the iPad. If my iTouch were to break or have something wrong with it to the point where it'd need to be replaced, I'd invest in an iPad. Otherwise, I'm content with my iTouch.
I wouldn't replace an iTouch with an iPad. I'd replace an iTouch with either an iTouch or an iPhone.

To me, the iPad is a separate entity. I can take an iTouch/iPhone and listen to music while on a walk. I can't do that (not comfortably or looking like a tool, mind you) with an iPad.
I'm not too impressed with the iPad, personally, so I wouldn't think it to be a worthy investment. As well, I couldn't afford to invest in it if I wanted so that's a moot point!

Snagglerock has a point, Apple likes to randomly unveil the next versions of their devices to totally supersede the previous models, and they like to put off that announcement until it's near-ready to launch. (You can imagine what that announcement does to sales of the older model, after all.) With the next iPhone coming out, I'd probably imagine a new iPad will also be out this year, if not in the coming months.

I personally think a better investment might be a Netbook with internal 3G, which will cost you less and suffer fewer of the limitations of the iPad. It may not be as exciting as having a touch-screen multimedia device, but you could play your BYOND stuff and YouTube videos just fine from anywhere!
Just get an iPhone, iPhone 4 that is.
The best way to determine whether or not an iPad is right for you is just to go play with a demo unit in a store for half an hour.

Kuraudo wrote:
I'd probably imagine a new iPad will also be out this year, if not in the coming months.

No, it won't. Based upon Apple's history of product cycles, we won't be seeing an iPad revision until at least January of February of next year, if not later. The most you might see is a minor spec refresh in late fall due lower memory prices/manufacturing changes.

SilkWizard wrote:
The best way to determine whether or not an iPad is right for you is just to go play with a demo unit in a store for half an hour.

You can't get the full feel of how you'd actually use it at home just by using it at the store. This just tells you what the iPad can do, and how it operates. At home, I'd use the iPad for nearly nothing. My laptop can perform most things the iPad does, and better. With my iTouch I can go down to the store with it just in my pocket. I'm not going to carry a huge iPad in my arm that's going to take up more space than my groceries.
Yash 69 wrote:
Just get an iPhone, iPhone 4 that is.

Here is someone who clearly didn't read the post... Thankyou for your pointless input.

@Hiead: Netbooks are just tiny laptops. So in my eyes, I lose out on the screen size and on the comfort. The touch screen isn't just wank factor, it really does make the thing less bulky.

@Silkwizard: I reckon i'd be hard pressed to find a store in these parts that'd let me preview like that. They aren't exactly things you can bolt down after all.

Besides, I know it'd be a worthwhile investment at some point. Whether or not that point is now is my primary concern. I'm leaning towards a later date, once the more pressing purchases have been made.

I was mainly wondering If anyone else had some pros or cons to add. And evidently it's way more easy to type on the itouch than I thought. I'm almost at my standard keyboard speed. I'll say this, the auto correct is really well made software. Some words it really shouldn't have been able to correct.
I don't have an iTouch myself, and honestly I really don't need one. The only time I'd use it is when listening to music or when I'm sitting in the back percussion area during band class because the teacher chose a terrible song with no percussion, and just to play games. The latter doesn't happen much, and the former I can already do with my current iPod. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't get my money's worth out of an iTouch as it is, let alone an iPad. If all you use your desktop for is internet, I'd just wait for Chrome OS or something.
Tiberath wrote:
@Hiead: Netbooks are just tiny laptops. So in my eyes, I lose out on the screen size...

You face the same problem with the iPad.

...and on the comfort.

How so? Netbook keyboards are the same size as regular keyboard, save for the otherwise lengthy shift/enter/etc keys. And have you ever tried typing on one of those touchscreens? Not like the iTouch, I mean trying to type on a "full keyboard" that doesn't have tactile response. Yuck.

I second going with a netbook, even if it's a 12 inch. Get the Asus 1201 which runs on the nVidia ION platform and can easily push 1080p out a built in HDMI port. Oh, and you can run whatever freaking software on it you'd like.
I can't use my desktop in my bedroom or lounge room. that defeats the purpose. And I use it for way more then surfing. Programming and games are the two big ones. but this is about when I want to surf the net, when I'm not at my desktop. A task that's currently uncomfortable and impossible for longer than an hour and a half unless I am using the itouch. But as aforementioned, the screen is too small and half the fun is missing.
Tiberath wrote:
I can't use my desktop in my bedroom or lounge room. that defeats the purpose. And I use it for way more then surfing. Programming and games are the two big ones. but this is about when I want to surf the net, when I'm not at my desktop. A task that's currently uncomfortable and impossible for longer than an hour and a half unless I am using the itouch. But as aforementioned, the screen is too small and half the fun is missing.

Well I guess I don't share that pain with you considering I have a laptop. If where I'm sitting isn't comfortable, I can simply move.
The iPad is a silly machine because everything it can do, a laptop does better. An iPhone is like the Swiss Army knife of electronics. You can check email, take calls, keep a calendar; you can pretty much do anything. The iPad is similar, only you're unable to keep it in your pocket.

A Swiss Army knife has its uses while out and about, but you don't keep one in the kitchen. You keep a chef knife in the kitchen because that's where it's appropriate to have one. It's a lot easier to cook with a chef knife because it's not compromising functionality for mobility.

Carrying an iPad around is like taking a chef knife with you to work. Using an iPad at home is like trying to cook with a Swiss Army knife. The iPad is a weird piece of hybrid technology which doesn't really have a place anywhere.
Well if you're worried about money and investments, I'd say getting an iPad would be fairly pointless if all you want it for is a larger screen, being that you already have an iTouch. iPad seems to pretty much literally be the same thing as an iTouch, just bigger and more expensive. If you really can't help yourself and need something bigger to carry around besides your laptop, I'd go with a netbook.

SuperAntx also has a good point I think.
SuperAntx wrote:
The iPad is a weird piece of hybrid technology which doesn't really have a place anywhere.

Hammer? Meet head of nail.

Tablets have always been niche devices, and the iPad is like a dumbed down tablet.
Tiberath wrote:
@Silkwizard: I reckon i'd be hard pressed to find a store in these parts that'd let me preview like that. They aren't exactly things you can bolt down after all.

No Apple stores down there eh? Too bad, it's like walking into a mini-Disneyland for creative nerds.
If there's any best buys around they should definitely have iPads on display for demoing.
I know an iPad is on my wish list, but I'm operating on a significantly different circumstance of never having forked out for an iPhone. (Being a full time student for the past 5 years, the funds weren't available for that purpose when the technology was made available.)

That seems to be the lead critique right there: if you already own an iPhone, you're not getting a whole lot more other than additional workspace.
Page: 1 2