This annoys me that this bug is been around for 3 years now and no fix for it -_-
I recently came across this problem and proceeded to play around with the system to see if I could get it to calm down. The only thing that has produced any results is setting the big atom's bound_* variables to encompass the whole icon. My icon is 511x702, so I wrote:

bound_width = 511
bound_height = 702

It'll begin flickering once, maybe twice the first time you see it (you may or may not notice a stutter in frame rate when it happens), but after that it stops and appears the way it should.

Other things I've tried include using image objects, adjusting step_* and/or pixel_* values, etc. None of those did any good (although I feel like using images should have for some reason).
I dont think that will help because even without it aftar 3-5 times you pass by them they wont dissapear but aftar 30-1h then they will start dissapearing again. Test it aftar you do the 3-5 times walk by and then run somewhere where there is no building leave ur character afk ther and then go back xD!

Only solution I found is by making blocks of the building like 96x96 parts!
In response to Zasif
Yeah you're right. I just tested it again in a different spot and it didn't help at all.

Guess I'll be doing atom chunks as well... or something.
Years ago this wasnt an issue, dunno what they did to break it! And its been an issue for 2-3 years now and no sign of any dev saying we are on it lol.
I haven't forgotten about this, just to let you know.
If you put any sort of overlay over the tile where you place the big turf/object it makes the issues a lot more noticeable, even if the overlay you placed over no icon
I've found a workaround since I've dealt with this bug 1 year ago.
If you change grid size you can eliminate the problem but it is not something I'm willing to do.
What you mean by grid size? And what does grid size have anything to do with this? O.o
I think Victorqr is referring to changing the default icon size, not the size of a grid control.
I've also noticed there's some issues with Cross()/Crossed() being called incorrectly from time to time. I think both of these issues might be somehow related in that somewhere deep in BYOND's source code some math for determining what objects are within a particular AABB rectangle is off. I don't remember when I reported that bug, but you put it on the backburner maybe 2-3 years ago, Lummox? I think I reported it to you via PM though, so I've forgotten how to reproduce it and I didn't have the foresight at the time to put it on the forums for the sake of documentation.
I'm positive the cross thing is not related to this issue. This is a matter of icons disappearing from view prematurely. It's unrelated to the movement routines, except for that fact that a change of location might trigger it.
Yeah I meant the icon_size because I have some huge objects on one level I was forced to use icon_size=192 for that level and change it dynamically to 32 on others...
You can't dynamically change world.icon_size.
Yeah you're right I did something like that but also changing the view for each client, don't remember it though did it about a year ago I'll check it out I believe I must have changed the view to counter balance the icon_size var or something like that
does anyone have a way around this that doesn't involve cutting icons up?
@Zagros: This bug will probably get fixed faster if you can create a test project where this problem occurs that doesn't have too much code in it so he can isolate the problem.
First page already has a ton of demonstrations, and you can do it urself just add a bunch of big Icons over 255x255 and you will see them dissapear.
There is a workaround for this issue, actually. If your icon is set to even multiples of the world's icon_size, it won't have the disappearing problem.

I've had 1024x768 icons showing up just fine no matter what direction or distance I view them from.
well that's a pain in the ass
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7