ID:974280

BYOND Version:496
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 21.0.1180.89
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
issaved is not exactly clear on how it should be used as you can't specify an object to use it on. Every time I have to use it I'm confused by this proc, and I've been around for 8 years. I think this proc confuses a lot of people and could do with some better documentation + examples of code (especially an example of a loop).
I don't think there is a bug here but we'll take a look and clarify the docs if needed.
IMHO any functionality that is not clear to the end user is something that needs to be addressed. Especially in an application that emphasizes ease-of-use the way BYOND does.
I believe it works like initial(), where when you pass a variable to it, it also somehow passes the object used to reference that variable. If I had to guess, I would say it's just a preprocessor macro trick.

mob/verb/Test()
world<<issaved(src.x)
world<<issaved(src.icon_state)
var/obj/A = new()
world<<issaved(A.loc)
world<<issaved(A.overlays)

Anyways, I miss the newer version of the reference where there were notes to clarify things. :P
In response to DarkCampainger
The strange part is how it picks up on the variable itself, rather than the value contained by it.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
The strange part is how it picks up on the variable itself, rather than the value contained by it.

I recall messing around with something like that. I don't remember exactly what, but I think uh, something relating to vars["var"] - where the variable, not the value would be...picked up?

I think time2text works the same way - it checks the variable. I'm not 100%, but I've tried to use my own "time" values, and nothing good came out of it when trying to turn it into a time/date, or I was just doing something wrong, who knows.
In response to Super Saiyan X
vars is a simple list that works exactly like all other lists. I don't think you can add/remove an item from it at runtime, but you can definitely dynamically get/set arbitrary variables using strings.

Also, time2text takes a number and a string. Nothing special there.
I know, Kaiochao. I'm just saying, the thing with the variable being read instead of the value has occurred with the usage of vars[]. vars["x"] should reference the actual value, not the variable.

I know what it takes, gosh. I'm just saying I've ran into issues with using my own time variables. Maybe I just assumed too much about what the procedure does. (time as '0' wouldn't be 12:00, it was like, 20:00 instead?) But, that's unrelated to this, I guess.
In response to Super Saiyan X
It works like lists how you can set list associations using square brackets the same way you access them. I see what you mean, though.
var L[] = list(a=2, b=6)
world << L["a"] // read as: world << 3 (makes sense)
L["a"] = 3 // read as: 2 = 3 (maybe possible confusion?)
// no, it's really read as:
// set index "a" of L to 3

What, you expect L["a"] = 3 to read as 2 = 3? Needless to say, I'm confused.
In response to Stephen001
That's just what I thought SSX was possibly being confused about.
Well, I think it's fair to say that would be a very wrong way to presume it would work. But as he says, this is pretty well unrelated to issaved(), initial() and company.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
That's just what I thought SSX was possibly being confused about.

I wasn't confused about anything. All I said was I recalled a time where the vars["bleh"] would read the variable - like issaved - instead of the value. It wasn't when assigning it, but something different entirely...but, like I said. Don't remember exactly.