ID:97513

BYOND Version:470
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.4
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Whilst in a game, setting tick_lag to anything below 1, then setting it back to 1 will result in the gameplay looking 'choppy' and slow.

More interestingly, for some reason, tick lag 0.1 is slower than it should be, at least in my observations. tick_lag 0.1 is slower than all other decimals up until 0.4.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Bug 1: Create a verb for changing tick lag, and observe the game at the default 1, paying attention to icon animations and movement.
Change tick delay to 0.1 and again take note, then reset it to 1 and you will notice the icons are choppy.

Bug 2: With the same verb above, record the speed that icons and delays transfer at 0.2 tick_lag, then set it to 0.1. Everything becomes slower, which is the opposite of what should happen.

Expected Results:
Bug 1: Game returns to normal speed and normal smoothness

Bug 2: 0.1 tick_lag is quicker than 0.2

Actual Results:
Bug 1: Icons are choppy and delays vary slightly.

Bug 2: 0.2 is far quicker than 0.1 tick_lag

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time.
In other games?
Yes
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
Not that I know of, under any circumstances does this not happen.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
I had never tested with tick_lag changing before the most recent version, so I would not know of any version that doesn't do it.

Workarounds:
Nada
Well, yeah... of course the game will look choppy and slow when you restore the tick_lag to 1 after having played at a lower tick_lag...
Nielz wrote:
Well, yeah... of course the game will look choppy and slow when you restore the tick_lag to 1 after having played at a lower tick_lag...

Why? Why would it not return to the normal smoothness that it had before setting it to 0.1?
Well, as for setting it back to 1 I don't know the issue, however as for setting it to 0.1 and having it run slower? Your processor might not be fast enough to handle anything below 0.2, my processor can handle pretty much anything however I have a small amount of memory, so for me 0.5 runs much faster than 0.4 but only because my processor doesn't have enough memory to process with, however, whether it's low CPU speed or low RAM, you'll have about the same issue if you set the clock too low.
Setting a lower-tick lag can have the counter-intuitive effect of slowing down the game because of the extra network overhead. You may have to play with it to find the "sweet spot".

The other report about tick_lag not properly reverting is legitimate; however, I was unable to verify it. Toggling between tick_lag < 1 and 1 multiple times worked as expected. I was only testing on a local connection (internal client-server), though. If you are still having issues, a demo with detailed instructions as to how to run it would help.