ID:981469

Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I'd like to request a flag or setting to skip the splash screen, and go straight to Dream Seeker. I honestly, hate the splash screen. It just stays there, not telling you anything, besides "connecting", "downloading", "oops failed".

I prefer the old way, where Dream Seeker would open up, and it'd display the connection stuff there, well, now, it'd display in the Ops & Message window.

It's impossible to tell if the Splash screen is really doing anything - half of the time it's just blue, and not going anywhere. If you allow users to skip straight to Dream Seeker - they have the option of reconnecting, seeing if any errors are thrown at them.
Just a flag...
skip-splash on

I'm assuming it wouldn't be hard, because when you run through Dream Maker, no splash screen comes up.
I disagree with it going straight to Dream Seeker, but the splash screen could use A LOT of work. I hate the same thing SSX does with the "static feeling". Perhaps more info on what exactly is being done at the time than "Loading." or "Launching." would help?

Maybe we could finally have customizable splash screens in the process? No? okay..
I'm not saying it should always go straight to Dream Seeker for everyone. I'm asking for a setting to do so for each individual user, because, the splash screen is pointless to me. I don't want to see this blue thing for three minutes when I'm joining a test world. I just need Dream Seeker to open up.
+1
The splash screen only appears as long as the game is loading, if you're seeing it for three minutes your game is still going to take three minutes to load without it.
There's nothing wrong with the splash screen.
Doesn't do a whole lot, but it does confirm that you're actually connecting or not.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The splash screen only appears as long as the game is loading, if you're seeing it for three minutes your game is still going to take three minutes to load without it.

But the splash screen doesn't provide any information.

I've always had issues with the splash screen, since it's appeared. Sometimes it takes so long to load that it just disappears - the process stops. But, when I connect to the same IP from a running instance of Dream Seeker, it works fine.
You also can't join/run two worlds at same time with that thing either. You have to wait for one to finish processing and for Dream Seeker to actually show up - then, open up a second world.

Anyways, I'm not asking for the complete removal of it. I just...want to be able to skip it.
1) Players should be able to launch/connect to multiple games simultaneously. It's ridiculous the way it works now.
2) Developers should be able to customize the splash screen.
In response to SuperAntx
Point 2 is pretty nifty +1, does the standalone show a splash screen?

Point 1 is very ridiculous, and so is clicking the close button on the splash screen and having it redirect you to the games section of this very website. (although my BYOND version is a tad older than the current release this may of changed)
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

...and so is clicking the close button on the splash screen and having it redirect you to the games section of this very website...

I made a feature request regarding this occurrence, which happens when the red exit button falls above the BYOND pager's logo(which by moving the location of the pager is how you can avoid it).
In response to Higoten
Thanks ! But it's still stupid :)
How about this: Get rid of the splash screen entirely and move all its functionality to the pager.

When you load a game, there is no splash screen. You see nothing until the game is ready and the DS window opens up. If you want to check the progress you simply open up your pager which displays the connection/download info.

With the splash screen gone there would be no need to add special pager settings or figure out roundabout ways of letting developers customize it. The splash screen itself is more trouble than it's worth.