ID:981488

Keywords: alpha, full, icon, states
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I think it would be cool to be able to just highlight and icon (one that may have movement or other states) and just be able to set all of their alpha all at once instead of having to go in and do it one by one or exporting to another program and having to import back in.
As far as I know, you can change an entire color in a .dmi file but not the alpha of it. In my experience, you have to use swap on the color in each icon state, and that can be time consuming.

So, not sure if you're suggesting being able to change the alpha of an entire used color at once, or if you mean changing the alpha of all colors at once; you've got my support for individual colors though.

I usually like to make my water icons without transparency, but then I may want some water over rocks, or sand; so I have to use swap to convert a new copy of the water to being transparent. It'd be a lot faster if we could just edit each colors alpha.
+1
Someone could probably make an icon editor in DM that does these things. It's pretty much making a UI for all the built-in icon procedures, and those of Lummox JR's IconProcs library.
In response to Kaiochao
If someone creates, and freely releases a tool for that; it'd probably be a nice work around. I'd rather see this added, though. I'm not sure how difficult it is to add, but it would likely be used by nearly every pixel artist; it's not essential but not trivial either.

It's kind of like being able to flip the directions of multiple icon states at once, which was requested elsewhere; that feature and this feature each save a lot of time.
I'm not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but you can edit a single state's entire alpha at a time by toggling the masking mode.

Step 1: Have your image set and if you're like most people, your edit value is set to RGB+Alpha.

Step 2: Toggle the dropdown menu to "Alpha" and select the alpha transparency you want to make your image.

Step 3: Click anywhere in your image's box and switch back to RGB+Alpha. Your entire icon will be set to whatever alpha value you determined on the slider to the right.

Hope that helped to any extent, although further support for this would be nice.
In response to Kumorii
Huh... I never knew about that. It actually does help, at least in my opinion; though like you said further support would be nice.
In response to Kumorii
I found that method Kumorii but it can still be time consuming if you are using a multi-tiled big icon that has a few states or perhaps an icon that has quite a few states.
In response to Ganing
Ganing wrote:
I found that method Kumorii but it can still be time consuming if you are using a multi-tiled big icon that has a few states or perhaps an icon that has quite a few states.

I'm actually working on an sprite editor in Java as a plugin for ExPixel's JDMIDE2(yes, he's working on a new one). I can't anticipate when he's going to have that released, but my icon editor will surely be released before JDMIDE2. I guess I can add this functionality on my to-do list.

Awesome. Thanks! Where can I find the original JDMIDE? o.o
I don't want to further derail the topic, so I'll stop replying after this.

http://code.google.com/p/jdmide/

https://github.com/ExPixel/JDMIDE

One of those should work - I think they're the same thing, but then again I'm not certain on that. Anyways, the previous IDE(s) he was working on didn't really have a lot of functionality; it could compile and save/open files, but that was it - there was no icon, interface, and map editor.