the smoke reminds me of looney toons cartoon from back in the good oll days.
Pmitch wrote:
I still dont really see how this is cartoony, not when you consider the reference, which IS a cartoon. I appreciate the CC though.

Cowboy Bebop is a cartoon. Happy Tree Friends is also a cartoon. Therefore, stylistic choices in Happy Tree Friends are completely compatible with stylistic choices in Cowboy Bebop, Q.E.D.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Pmitch wrote:
I still dont really see how this is cartoony, not when you consider the reference, which IS a cartoon. I appreciate the CC though.

Cowboy Bebop is a cartoon. Happy Tree Friends is also a cartoon. Therefore, stylistic choices in Happy Tree Friends are completely compatible with stylistic choices in Cowboy Bebop, Q.E.D.

Theres an obvious difference in realism between those two. the series i referenced is neither of those. That being said, my explosion fits the series i am basing my game off.
Pmitch wrote:
That being said, my explosion fits the series i am basing my game off.

If may fit the artistic style of the series you're basing your game off of, but it doesn't fit the artistic style of the game you're making. There's quite a clear difference between the style of the smoke and the style of the background.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Pmitch wrote:
That being said, my explosion fits the series i am basing my game off.

If may fit the artistic style of the series you're basing your game off of, but it doesn't fit the artistic style of the game you're making. There's quite a clear difference between the style of the smoke and the style of the background.

You clearly havnt seen dbz fizz. Go away.
I've been seeing DBOII stuff for as long as I can remember. I am tired of seeing screenshots and stuff.
Ham Doctor wrote:
I've been seeing DBOII stuff for as long as I can remember. I am tired of seeing screenshots and stuff.

?
Pmitch wrote:
Ham Doctor wrote:
Said rubbish.

What?

I think he was attempting to make a weak prod at the game hypothetically making no progress at all. I chuckled a little.
Keep it as it is it doesn't suck it looks perfect, who cares what other people think.
I figure if you're gonna make the smoke cartoony and based more on the anime, why not make all of the icons more closely related? I think the smoke doesn't match the style of the game, if you're trying to be more anime-like. I guess either match the game more or match the anime with your other icons.

As I said, nonetheless. It's pretty sexy; just tone it more towards one or the other.
Black Label Studios wrote:
I figure if you're gonna make the smoke cartoony and based more on the anime, why not make all of the icons more closely related? I think the smoke doesn't match the style of the game, if you're trying to be more anime-like. I guess either match the game more or match the anime with your other icons.

As I said, nonetheless. It's pretty sexy; just tone it more towards one or the other.

Dragonball, aswell as other animes usually had more detailed backgrounds, while having more cartoony looking explosions.
Well then, if you're gonna use that as your argument, then as I already suggested; "Why not make all of the icons more closely related? I think the smoke doesn't match the style of the game, if you're trying to be more anime-like. I guess either match the game more or match the anime with your other icons."

Cause if you're using that statement as your basis then all of the other icons need to be dumbed down, a lot, for your arguments validity.
@Black Label Studios

In Pmitch's defense, this is how it's meant to be. It gives it a little 'lift' makes it appear as if its lifted from the screen, as smoke should be/would be in dbz

:p
Black Label Studios wrote:
Well then, if you're gonna use that as your argument, then as I already suggested; "Why not make all of the icons more closely related? I think the smoke doesn't match the style of the game, if you're trying to be more anime-like. I guess either match the game more or match the anime with your other icons."

Cause if you're using that statement as your basis then all of the other icons need to be dumbed down, a lot, for your arguments validity.

Not unless you're implying that dbz's background and environments were not detailed.

http://images.myfavoritegames.com/gallery-db-z-gt-x/ Screenshots/Movies_and_Specials/DBZ_Movie_11_v2/ DragonballZ-Movie11_760.jpg
hmm....
Pmitch wrote:
http://images.myfavoritegames.com/gallery-db-z-gt-x/ Screenshots/Movies_and_Specials/DBZ_Movie_11_v2/ DragonballZ-Movie11_760.jpg
hmm....

After looking at that for all of 5 seconds, all I gotta ask is what did she eat?
That's not really helping you either. During the animations of older cartoons/anime the animations were dumbed down, like the smoke effect above as well as the character or the object being effected. If you remember watching Tom and Jerry or Scooby Doo.

http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/wallpaper/cartoons/ dynomutt/images/scooby-doo.jpg

And as I said before. IF you're trying to match the anime, every effect and animation effected by this should be related to it as well. Such as the dumbing down of the shading & colors.
The character looks... unusual. The graphics are very nice, especially the explosion but the character looks out-of-place artstyle-wise.
Okay, I have to say it looks GREAT. I see nothing wrong with this. Sheesh, I almost jumped out my seat coming to your page, because the explosion stood out.

From Desiger to Designer, I have to say...You choice right here absolutely worked for you. It's the fact that they don't match exactly that makes it good looking, and eye cathcing.

You did great on the shapping of the explosion too, which pretty much helped make the color and style work. It does good justice to the series, and this looks like it will be a GREAT Dragon Ball game. Very good for a mock up indeed.
i honestly think you should add ONE more color to the shading and youde have this spot on, but without that third color in the smoke you just got a heap of crap :P ... i understand the validity of your statement and how you bring up the smoke isn't spot on with the artistic style of the backgrounds with dbz but it was a tad bit more detailed then your letting on!!

and maybe some reds in those yellows also. =D nice job tho sorry for the l33t talk
Page: 1 2 3 4