ID:98532

Not a bug
BYOND Version:471
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 5.0.375.99 and Firefox
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Everytime I attempt to connect to any of the Spacestation 13 servers http://www.byond.com/games/hub/exadv1/spacestation13, I get an error saying "(Default file directory)\dreamseeker.exe "byond://69.162.73.130:3259" - pager. The address varies depending on which server I'm attempting to connect to. Once I click OK (only available option), another error box pops up saying "Could not run dreamseeker.exe. Perhaps you should reinstall BYOND?"

I have done this, several times, using the uninstall.exe and then later physically deleting the remaining contents from the program files and user\documents. I have cleared the cache through the byond.exe (pager?) program and physically deleting it. I have renamed the cfg folder. I have reinstalled from fresh downloads of both the exe and zip. I get successful installs off both that load the site saying the install is finished. I have never been able to load a server sucessfully, though I have only tried the SS13 servers. I already am running admin but I have tried running byond.exe and dreamseeker.exe as admin and setting them to xp sp2 compatibility mode. No change. Perhaps of note, I cannot launch Dreammaker or DreamDaemon from the byond.exe file, but I can launch them directly from the file folder. Trying from the byond.exe gives the same error message "Could not run dreammaker.exe\dreamdaemon.exe" etc. etc.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1)Click server link/open location within page file menu
2)dreamseeker.exe fails to execute

Expected Results: The game will load

Actual Results: Dreamseeker.exe cannot run. Game does not load. I cry tears of sadness.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes, every time
In other games? Yes, all SS13 servers fail to run as well as Naruto GOA and others.
In other user accounts? Untested
On other computers? Untested

When does the problem NOT occur? Never

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Unknown, brand new install, never played before.

Workarounds: Unknown

From your report, it seems like BYOND is confused about the location of Dreamseeker.exe. This information gets written to the registry, so if there were a permissions problem there, that could be relevant.

At any rate, let's run a simple test first and just call dreamseeker directly.

1) Run "cmd"
2) cd to your byond folder, then bin/ (where dreamseeker is located)
3) dreamseeker [byond address to test]

Does that work? If so, then BYOND is working fine and we'll have to fixup the directory structure so byond.exe can talk to dreamseeker.exe. I'll provide steps on that when we know more...
Running it through the command prompt did work
In your initial report, you said:
I get an error saying "(Default file directory)\dreamseeker.exe "byond://69.162.73.130:3259" - pager.

what is "(Default file directory)" there and does that directory actually contain dreamseeker.exe? It sounds like it's getting the cwd and the bin dir confused.
C:\Program Files (x86)\byond\bin is the default directory and both byond.exe and dreamseeker.exe are there
That is odd. I figured it just had the wrong directory but it looks like it's just not able to start it up, even though the file is there. Let's try another test.

1) Download the 471 zip file: http://www.byond.com/download/build/471.1076_byond.zip

2) Unzip that to your desktop.

3) Enter that directory and startup byond.exe. This is the same BYOND you have installed in your program files but it should just reference the version on your desktop.

4) Can you connect to a game through that pager?
Running off the desktop does work through the pager.
How about uninstalling BYOND and reinstalling it in the Desktop. In theory that should act similar to the working zip install you just did, with the benefit of enabling all of the web stuff.

I'm not sure why "program files" is a problem. I wonder if it's an issue with the file path name or something like that (didn't think that STILL came up but who knows).
Windows 7 32-bit here. Same error. BYOND version 481.1090.

I can only launch worlds if I type the path to the DreamSeeker executable and supply the world address as an argument in Start -> Run.
This suggests you have two versions of BYOND installed. I recommend a full uninstall and reinstall.
Already tried. Problem persists.
Can you describe your error in more detail, and your system specs? I'm not certain this is even the same issue.
Went to test it again for screenshots, and, all was well. The error has went as mysteriously as it came.

CPU: AMD 64X2 4400+
Memory: 3GB of DDR2 667
Graphics: Integrated NVidia GeForce 6150SE

The error that was received was as exactly described in this original report.

1) Attempt to launch Dream Seeker through Pager
2) Alert window pops up showing path to Dreamseeker.exe as well as arguments for the file. (ex: C:\Program Files\BYOND\bin\Dreamseeker.exe "byond://0.0.0.0:1000" -pager
3) Click through alert.
4) Another alert window. "Could not run dreamseeker.exe. Perhaps you should reinstall BYOND?"
I just installed and ran nestalgia and my AVG anti-virus flagged it as high level malicious. I decided to trust it and allow it through and the game ran fine.

Perhaps the issue on this thread has to do with false anti-virus flagging.
In response to Devinology
I brought this issue up over here a few days ago. AVG for some reason sends up false positives. I've since switched to Microsoft Security Essentials and no longer encounter this.
I Seem to have this same problem. Which is strange as the earlier version of byond worked fine on my computer but no longer do.
Been using MSE for a while too, no errors. Uninstall avg its a memory fiend
I don't have AVG.
I know this thread's old, but I recently came across the same problem. I fixed it simply by setting Dreamseeker and BYOND to run as administrator.
Guys, exit of your antivirus and reinstall, and it's fixed :D
Page: 1 2