ID:98537

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I was wondering if BYOND is considering code autocomplete implementation in Dream Maker.

For those who isn't familiar with IntelliSense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliSense

Basically, it makes game development faster and much more efficient. It reduces name memorization such as functions, variables, etc and saves a lot of typing.
I'd love to see this in Dream Maker. But it's pretty much a luxury and I doubt they have any plans to do it anytime soon.
This has been brought up on the forums before. It would be a great feature, but it is very, very non-trivial to add. It requires the compiler to analyze the work in progress without necessarily having to do a full compile, and it has to be aware of syntax as you type so it knows for instance that you're on the 3rd argument of walk(). This is quite difficult to do.
As Lummox said, this is very hard to do. However, there are text editors that have IntelliSense built into them and allow for someone to create their own profile for a new language. If you really want the feature you can do it yourself. Not as nice as having it built in, but a lot easier than have Lummox design it from scratch.
Oh I see, still I hope to see this feature added in the future. Thanks for the comments.
I wonder how this would vary from another nice API feature: pulling up the definition of a proc with the push of a button.

As it is, you can work around by searching your entire project for that proc definition, of course, but getting back where you were isn't quite as easy.
In response to Geldonyetich
Geldonyetich wrote:
I wonder how this would vary from another nice API feature: pulling up the definition of a proc with the push of a button.

As it is, you can work around by searching your entire project for that proc definition, of course, but getting back where you were isn't quite as easy.

You can find a proc using the object tree. You would have to make it show everything.
In response to ExPixel
Very interesting, I never noticed that "show all nodes" checkmark before.

The things I learn here; I should be a clueless pest on the forums more often.

Funny how it shows an empty icon next to the proc: There were times in verb control I wished I could assign an icon to a proc, thereby circumventing the need for some kind of visible access object for the player to access.