ID:98819

BYOND Version:471
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 7.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary: if you are moving using the keypad, and while holding one of the directional keys, you press num lock, you will continue to move in that direction indefinitely. Unless you move another way or press anther Marco, and then you will continue moving in the direction again.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Ensure your on a computer with a number pad and num lock key
2) Log into any byond game with movement
3) using the number pad, hold down any movement key (1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9)
4) While you are holding a movement key, press num lock,
5) Stop holding your directional key
6) You will still be continuing moving in the direction you were pressing, and pressing any other movement key, will only cancel this effect till it is finished, then you will continue moving in its direction

Expected Results: to stop moving when you release a key

Actual Results: while holding a movement key on the number pad, and then pressing num lock, causes you to not stop moving

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? every time
In other games? most games, so do not have movement
In other user accounts? unsure
On other computers? unsure, I only have 1 computer with a number pad

When does the problem NOT occur? when you don’t press num lock while holding a directional key on the number pad

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) byond 468.1072

Workarounds: log out if it occurs, have not been able to find any other way around it.

P.S: please don't expect a quick responce from me consering this issue, I'll be gone at camp till the 23rd. Thanks!
This appears to be a very difficult fix. The Windows API itself doesn't seem aware that the key has been released, which means we'd have to catch this at a lower level. So far I'm finding no solutions. The only good advice I can give here is not to play with numlock while holding down numpad keys.
Couldn't you just have BYOND read the numlock key? And run any key ups for numpad keys.
Seems like we can't make our own macros for numlock o.O
Falacy wrote:
Seems like we can't make our own macros for numlock o.O

Games like WoW use this, I think. Pressing numlock while moving will make you move forward until you either hit a movement key, or press numlock again. With a Numlock macro, developers could add in features like this.
F0lak wrote:
Games like WoW use this, I think. Pressing numlock while moving will make you move forward until you either hit a movement key, or press numlock again. With a Numlock macro, developers could add in features like this.

You can still add features like that. I have one in BE, though I had to put it on the / next to numlock, since you can't macro numlock itself.
Falacy wrote:
You can still add features like that. I have one in BE, though I had to put it on the / next to numlock, since you can't macro numlock itself.

I know it's possible right now. I was simply saying that allowing us to use the NumLock as a macro key we would just have that one extra button to use.
I dont know if it helps at all, but before i thought that the only way to get yourself to stop moving was to relog, it also seems that if you get a pop up box, it will cancel out the movement as well.
This may be related to hardware support and as such I'm not sure how fixable it is. At the very least it's a difficult fix so I'll move this to deferred, like I probably should have done in the first place.