ID:992513

Keywords: ban
Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
After spending a week banned off the BYOND Forums, I couldn't help but think that it'd come in handy to ban users off of specific sections of the forums. So far I believe you can only ban users off of general forums rather than specific sections. ie: Instead of being banned off all BYOND Forums, I would've been allowed to continue posting in Developer Help, but no other section. If this currently exists, it's not openly available for public forums(hubs).

Basicly, uppon selecting to ban a user, you would then been prompted on which forum(s) this ban would apply to, which you could turn into a check list to choose more specific forums.

Uppon un-checking the 'all' choice, a checklist would open up to allow you to select from each section of that forum.
Perhaps the best way to avoid the problem, is to not do the thing that got you banned, eh? ;)

I'd echo Lige's assessment here, but go on a bit further to state that the idea that a user could be troublesome or in breach of forum etiquette in one place, but irreplaceably useful in another place, is a bit of a false philosophy. You don't have irreplaceable posters, particularly not for such an open Q/A section like developer help, and individual members are never above the community standards and etiquette.

What this feature request seems to have come out of, is the ban doing precisely what it's supposed to: Removing your privilege of interaction with the community as punishment for a breach of community standards.

You lost out on being able to post developer help answers for the week you were banned. Things didn't stop being answered, life in that section carried on, people got satisfactory answers and were able to progress their projects. The quality of answers didn't in my opinion take a nose-dive, and if they did, I'm not sure I could attribute that to your ban.

What did happen though, is you lost out on the opportunity to provide answers, and potentially, get developer help points from them. You lost the opportunity to ... I guess in your eyes, develop social status through that? And that was a negative of the situation for you.

Which is good, it should be, because you impacted the community negatively through the activities that got you banned for a bit, and so it only makes sense that the ban impacts you negatively also, so you might take a bit more care in future posts and keep a lid on the negative attitude that appeared before the ban, and remind yourself about what should or should not be okay socially.

Lesson learned perhaps, I hope?
The guidelines you speak of are very limited and each moderator thinks differently...

As for banning per forum I think that's ok for the majority of users but BYOND doesn't have per forum moderation... If you are a mod you are a mod of the whole thing it's pretty silly.
If you're not wanted in one forum, what makes you think that your posts in another forum would be any better?
The rules encompass the entire forum, and so it makes sense that bans do as well.
In response to Stephen001
I don't have a issue with my ban, my point in mentioning that is that I was helpful in one section, even if I 'derailed' two topics by replying to someone who was actualy derailing the topic; And it doesn't effictively cut off communication, I'm still free to post on any hub, page any user, or scrible nonsense of anyone's shoutbox.

But I feel that the point behind this is being missed, if someone is outright blatently breaking rules, of course you're banning them off the entire forum. If they've only presented themselves as a issue on one topic or one sections, what sense is there in revoking their posting rights completely?

However, I do not take kindly in your assumptions on how I look at certain topics, I would happily have all points awarded through Developer Help removed, as it means nothing to me and is an annoyance to have people like you assuming 'OH! He must be helping to be ranked! It's clear that it means something to that person.' Why exactly can't I just want to help people? I even paged a handful of people about things they posted to try and help them out, could you please award me points for those?

Honestly, I was banned for two weeks intialy and the reason I was give was 'derailing over stupid shit' for replying to a user that was being replied to by several others in while derailing a handful of threads. Calus_corps even had something very simular to my back-and-fourth with the user on a topic. Yet, it seems as if the user actually derailing was not banned and I'm sure the moderator doing the same thing as I did not recieve much of a punishment. After a few days my ban was shortened to be a total of a week, because the moderator that banned me saw that I was 'helpful'.
In response to Oasiscircle
Because, posting on different sections will yeild different results when acting the same way. I know moderation on the Help sections are stricter on what you can say. If you're going to have varying layers of strict-ness for each forum, why not have bans for each forum? I'm not suggesting to remove the current ban set up, but only to give the option of banning someone off a specific section or multiple sections.
Just use common sense. There's no reason to change how forum bans function just so one can be immature in one forum while banned in another. If you get banned from any forum, you need to rethink how you're behaving in all of them.
In response to Fugsnarf
When it is common for forums to have section-specific bans? I've seen forums go as far as offer topic bans, which could save a lot of topics from being locked, banning the ones derailing the subject rather than preventing people that may actually have something to add from posting.
These are not common case scenarios, and it's really not something I'd anticipate using, simply because I can trim back problem users in one topic, and if their disruption applies to one entire section and I've felt a ban necessary, then it's going to be a forum etiquette issue, and that shall apply wholesale. I can't really see a scenario where I could not "live without" someone's contribution to a specific section, but have bannable issue with them in another.
Why is everyone complaining about NNAAAAHH's moderation? I think that if there are members that would like to see this implemented that it should be considered, and not thrown out because you happen to disagree with someone else's practices.

The BYOND forums are moderated in a specific way by the official moderators; the forums that exist on hub entries should not be so inflexible. After all, hub entries are one of the membership perks now and it would seem to me that adding more functionality will increase the likelihood people will want to become members.
In response to JBoer
Thank you, someone finally touching on more than just the BYOND Forums, my suggestion applies to all Forums; including game hubs.