ID:993237

Keywords: forum, local, scope, search
Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
At present, if I were to go into any subforum such as Linux Talk or Developer Help and do a search, it returns results from the entire BYOND forums, which... usually isn't ideal if you're trying to find something within the forum you're searching in. It feels like it should be looking only in that subforum specifically if you're searching there. Instead you have to tell it to look there with a button, as I'm not aware of any sort of terms to add to force it to do a local search.

Basically, searches should default to &scope=local if you search within a subforum.
I agree. It is really annoying when I am searching for something explicit to a subforum and posts from every subforum are included in my search results.
+++++
Agreed.
Yes please.
Indeed.
+++++
THREE. YEARS. RUNNING

+1

The forum search is slow enough without having to re-search because it doesn't default to local.
I absolutely agree with this suggestion, although you can search with 'forum:linux searchterm' to limit it to a particular forum.
I'm on board with this.

The slowness in the search BTW appears to have come from our site update; parts of the database were changed over to a new format, and it appears that the text search simply doesn't do as well as advertised for it. It's an issue I've been a little frustrated trying to solve, as I don't know if there is an easy solution save going back to an older and less reliable format.
In response to Lummox JR
IT TOOK THREE YEARS BUT WE DID IT BOYS.
Heh, part of it is a design decision. I preferred the local scope myself but it wasn't my call.
bump

it's your call now lummox
hello old friend
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
IT TOOK THREE YEARS BUT WE DID IT BOYS.

Nov 12th, 2015.

Hello darkness my old friend.
This is actually on the slate for the next round of web changes. I have a few of those nearly ready to go, but it's been a matter of trying to shoehorn the testing and such in with other projects.