ID:993670

Keywords: compile, easier, software
Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Well instead of having to compile all the time, the dream maker would auto compile what you are writing and what access it because if you are working with big games it takes approximately 30 seconds to compile and that is just too much time to waste, especially if you are stuck on a piece of code you have to keep changing it around and trying....

so basically the idea is: automatically compiling what you are doing.
How would that help, autocompiling would make your big project
to freeze 30 seconds even at a faster rate.
Well, you'd probably want an multi-stage compiler, to be able to keep some intermediate form ready, and do a kind of "linker stage" on compile, like GCC and company do for C/C++. It's not exactly trivial to do though, particularly with object definitions scattered across files.
yeah just like c/c++ and its really needed i mean my project takes 30 seconds to compile, how am i supposed to error fix with that?? and if i have to take it to like my friend's house or any lower spec computer it takes 1 - 1.5 minutes to compile.
Patience, and organization. That is how. The only way this should really be a problem is if you've got a source that is very cluttered and/or poorly organized, one that is tremendously huge, or you make a Ton of errors. Emphasis on tremendously, because I am on a windows vista laptop with 2 gb ram with duel core/2ghz processor and it only takes me Maybe 20-30 seconds to compile the largest sources I have. That's without my laptop being optimized recently, too.

I compile frequently to avoid typos, and just to make sure things are smooth, or test, etc. I have no problem error handling and such. I'm not saying I'm against this, just that it's not top priority, and there are in fact lots of ways to deal with it.

I don't want to stereotype you and say you're working with old anime sources, so I won't assume you are, but IF you are I can also tell you those are often the poorly organized/cluttered type problem. I've looked at a few for some friends and acquaintances, and they always take ages to compile.
You have quite small C++ projects if it takes 30 seconds to compile.

C# seems to compile on the fly, probably because there's almost no optimization during compilation and each line can be compiled individually. Though I'm not sure.

Overall I think it's unnecessary to compile on the fly. You should know what you code and what will compile.
I appreciate your feedback but all i am saying is that it will really help....
As I already said. I cannot see how it would help.

Normally code you write shouldn't contain any compilation errors, it's a rare case. That's why I think compilation on the fly is useless.
Auto compiling would be an awful addition, and there are a couple of reasons why.

1) It saves over your previous work
2) It takes a while when you're working on a long game
3) Mistakes can be made and will save over previously working builds
4) etc

I know there are reasons why people would want auto-compiling, but it would not fit in with everyone who is using DM. It would be more like fitting a small portion of people who want auto-compiling.

There could be a radio box to allow auto-compiling, but honestly the small margin of people who want it makes adding it quite useless and a waste of time. If there's a higher demand in people wanting it, then by all means add it.
What this feature does remind me of is that it takes an awful long time to compile my project. It would be helpful if part of the compilation was already done in the background on a separate thread as Stephen001 suggested.
ok, i am being really brought down here but i will continue:

answer1: ctrl+z would rewind and your old lines of code will be back.

answer2: the idea of auto compiling in c# is that it does not take a while no matter what size your project is....

answer3: its the same point as number 1.

answer4: etc :P

I agree with the radio box thiing because i see now that not many people like to use auto-compiling.

edit: Zaoshi sometimes when you are trying a new way to change alot of things in your source code(a more organized way) that needs lots and lots of testing and because its your first time you ever use it there will be alot of errors.
I could see auto-compiling in the background being fairly handy, but of course they need to actually get around to devising a means of compiling in the background in the first place.

I'm pretty sure the background compile feature is somewhere on the 'to-do list' but until it's been done something like this isn't really going to help you out any, as the process of auto-compilation would just cause the same delays and waiting it causes now to manually compile... every [x] amount of seconds.

I imagine once the ability to compile in the background works its way into the process a feature like this would be fairly easy to provide, but until then just gotta wait it out :).
at last some positive reply thnx Nadrew!
Lummox pls
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not Feasible)