I've been debating whether or not to implement a gear binding system into NEStalgia since day one. The plan was to wait and see how the Marketplace panned out and whether or not item trading became a big thing... and now we know the answer to that question!
Here's a quick rundown of how this works:
- "Binds on Equip" is represented by "EQUIP BINDS" in the item description HUD. This means that once you equip the item it becomes "Soulbound" forever.
- Soulbound items cannot be placed on the Marketplace or traded to other players. You may sell them to NPC Vendors for gold.
- Items are bound to a player's key and not a specific character. As such, subscribers will be able to use the shared vault to transfer gear for use on their alternate characters.
- All Rares (the colored weapons/armor dropped from monsters) and Uniques are now "Binds on Equip".
- All of your currently equipped gear will be automatically unequipped the first time you log into v1.20 to prevent it from becoming Soulbound.
- "Binds on Pickup" items can also be found, represented by "PCKUP BINDS" in the HUD. These become Soulbound the moment you pick them up.
- Examples of Binds on Pickup items: Any item given as a quest reward or that is found in treasure chests in the overworld.
Pretty standard MORPG stuff. The Binds on Pickup function mentioned above is actually just an evolution of the existing "No Auction" flag on quest rewards and treasure. The Black Sanctum may feature a set of Binds on Pickup drops from bosses, but that's down the road a bit past v1.20.
In other news, I just found out that I'm finally going to be able to make the move from Los Angeles up to Seattle! Although work on NEStalgia will continue in my spare time, I'll be MIA from BYOND for the next couple weeks as I pack up and head north. My release target for v1.20 is still August - just a bit later in the month now.