ID:99556

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Duplicates:id:99693
Well i was thinking why byond doesn't add payments via Cellphone, for what? Because most of the people is -18 years. And they want some bonus on game or a membership. And most of -18 years haves cell phone.
So.. What you think?
No. There isn't really an added bonus of doing it. They can use paypal with their bank account, or just paypal, or get a paypal card. It works just as well, and it's accepted mostly everywhere.
Setting up paypal is quite a hassle. Especially for the youngins that populate BYOND.
You also can't use "just paypal", if it isn't linked to a bank account then a paypal account is pretty much useless.
If all you had to do was put in your phone # to make a payment, then BYOND would probably get a lot more of them. There would probably be a lot more reversals too, when those 12 year old's parents saw the phone bill.
Falacy wrote:
Setting up paypal is quite a hassle. Especially for the youngins that populate BYOND.
You also can't use "just paypal", if it isn't linked to a bank account then a paypal account is pretty much useless.
If all you had to do was put in your phone # to make a payment then BYOND would probably get a lot more of them. There would probably be a lot more reversals too, when those 12 year old's parents got the phone bill.

Not true. It could be populated by other means, although they all require a bank account in the end, but parents could populate it, friends, etc.
Another reason I disagree with cell phone payments is what you stated, though, how many people would use it to pay, then their parents find out and want it reversed, or somesuch.
Supported.
Good idea.
I wouldn't support this feature.
I've seen many parents have to complain to companies because their children -- since parents are financially responsible for children, most of the time, until they are 21 years of age -- bought something via Cell Phone and the bill just "magically" increased. Thus, parents get a bit frustrated and demand refunds which is just more work for BYOND, along with the set-up process and verification of Cell-Phone Payment Options.

PayPal works wonders. If not, the said <18 should contact their financially-responsible guardians.
From what I know, demanding money back from services that kids have subscribed to never, ever gets resolved by the service. It's the customer's /phone company/ that refunds the money.

Simply cover your ass with fine print, and there's limited liability placed on BYOND.

Many of my players are under 18, don't have paypals /nor/ a bank account, but they all have cell phones. Hi extra revenue for BYOND.
I looked into this a little while ago and it turned out that the cell phone services require a certain volume of transactions that we just didn't have at the time (we don't make a lot of money). Perhaps things have changed since then, so I'll do another check. I'm all for accepting as many payment types as we can.
I'd support this - I'm over 18, but I would definitely buy BYOND membership (for more than just myself) if I could to it by SMS.

I realize not everyone is in my situation, but I have prepaid so it doesn't increase my bill at all, and I know I'd buy membership for myself and at least 3 other people within the first couple months if this was added.

Not sure if this really changes anything, but with the option to pay by cell phone, you'd be getting at least another $72/yr from me that I otherwise simply can't afford.

As Murrawhip pointed out, refunding wouldn't really be BYOND's problem. As long as the overhead isn't too much, I don't see what you have to lose. But I can definitely see what you have to gain. $72+ from me every year, and a lot of other memberships.
Bump. Now that some things changed, i would really want to see this. :P
I have no problem with this but last I checked I couldn't find a merchant that would support us. They usually require a higher volume of sales than we make.

Oh I see I posted this same message last year. Well, I'll take another look. If anyone has any suggested merchants, that'd be good to know.
Onebip or Daopay could work. Last time i've asked on Onebip how to Withdraw money and got this "Onebip automatically transfers your funds to your bank or Paypal account after 60 days from end of the month. For Paypal transfers the minimum amount is € 1; for bank transfers the minimum amount is € 200." (Jan 20, 2011) I don't know if it changed now.
Ter13 resolved issue (Not Feasible)