ID:99643

Ever wonder what might happen if you were to cross the Total War series with say.. Sid Meier's Pirates (holding the pirates!), well I'll give you the answer-- Mount & Blade: Warband!

I've been playing this game recently, and I can't seem to get enough of it. It combines the familiar overworld map of Sid Meier's Pirates, with an 11th century feel. It has something I've always been looking for in a game: realism, and functionality. You can command massive armies, leading them into battle as the tough horse-back commander, or you could instead wait in the back with the archers, commanding your troops from afar. Using a multitude of weapons like swords, axes, hell even a big damn hammer to destroy your foes. The horseback combat is possibly the best I have ever seen in a game, and the combat system is pretty damn fine as well. It really feels like Mount & Blade has picked you up and plopped you down in an 11th century battlefield at times. The intensity of some battles really comes out when you see your cavalry running down lines of infantry.

However good the combat may be, the overworld and character interaction cannot say the same. It feels very half assed, and pretty straight to the point. Although most of your actions do reflect how people will interact with you, the number of options, and how dynamic character personalities are is limited. You will find yourself always running into the same sort of character, despite their culture or faction. There are also few bandits to attack, leaving you running around the world like a lost dog-- this is kind of a negative, at least until you get to the level at which you can raid towns and take Lords in combat.
On the other hand, a number of the short comings of the game have been supplemented with the use of mods. The community has created a number of various mods, ranging from the addition of new items, to entire overhauls of the game. Most of the mods are really enjoyable, and will add much more gameplay and functionality.

Multiplayer in this game is also a key factor. Although limited to rather basic game types, I found myself playing in multiplayer for hours. Servers are limited to 64 players, and you are put in one of two teams. Depending on the game-mode (which is usually Battle), you will be given an objective, whether this object is to take a castle, or merely to destroy the entire enemy team differs. However, as you kill more and more troops you will find your money increasing. With this gold, you can buy better equipment, better shields and weapons. This is a pretty great idea, although with the round limits on most games, you'll find that the match is over by the time you get all the gear you want.

After a few days of playing this, I will recommend you try out this game if you had fun with the Total War series. It's definitely a great tactical third (or first) person RPG. The multi-player is also a strong point. Giving the fact it is only developed by two people, husband and wife. I'll give her a 7/10. I recommend you try this one out. You can download the demo here: http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx
I've a strange phobia about running Mount and Blade. No idea why. Maybe it's because I know it'll be an awesome game and I'm afraid of getting overly entangled in it.
Crazah, your review was excellent. I was not disappointed when I ran the game and saw for my self the unique experience the game has to offer. I would also recommend anyone with some spare dosh to buy this game. In a total I would give it a 8/10, the multiplayer just adds the final touch to the game making it absolutely brilliant!
I know I'm necroposting, but I don't care!

I just found this game two weeks ago. I've been hooked ever since. Great game.

PS: Have you tried Brytenwalda?