ID:99975

Resolved
Copying and pasting a small piece of an icon pixmap into an icon file with a smaller overall size than the original would shrink the pasted piece unnecessarily, and possibly create extra icon states depending on where it was pasted.
BYOND Version:474
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.8
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When you copy paste a icon from one file to another, it repeatedly either makes 20 copy paste's with blank frames or doesn't paste at all

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Copy icon from 1 file.
2.Paste in another.

Expected Results:
Clear, fully functioning copy/paste.

Actual Results:
Multiple paste's

Does the problem occur:
Mainly with bigger icons to smaller, but with smaller ones it doesn't copy paste correctly either. it separate's each frame.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Always does.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Version before newest update.

Workarounds:
None, without having to delete up to 3000 pasted blank states.
I can confirm this and I was going to make my own post about it soon. Copying a selection from one icon and pasting it into a seperate icon file is completely unpredictable.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
I can confirm this and I was going to make my own post about it soon. Copying a selection from one icon and pasting it into a seperate icon file is completely unpredictable.

Yea, i was trying to redo one of my building's doors next thing i know boom 3000+ icon states appear lol took my comp like 15 minutes to load.
Copying and pasting from a bigger icon into a smaller is going to break the bigger icon up into multiple chunks. I tested this prior to 474's release and did not experience any unexpected behavior. I'll need a more detailed set of steps to follow--extremely detailed, starting with opening the project and going all the way to the paste--to be able to reproduce this.
Lummox JR wrote:
Copying and pasting from a bigger icon into a smaller is going to break the bigger icon up into multiple chunks. I tested this prior to 474's release and did not experience any unexpected behavior. I'll need a more detailed set of steps to follow--extremely detailed, starting with opening the project and going all the way to the paste--to be able to reproduce this.

Well, thats not the problem i can even try copying a small 16x16 section or even smaller from an icon of 32x32 size and it reproduces 50 stats or doesn't paste at all,

Step 1: open a project or create one anything

Step 2: make a icon 32x32 or any size preferable.

Step 3: Copy the icon or a portion of the icon and paste into a new DMI icon or an exsisting one

Step 4: Watch as it bug's and glitches

Below are examples from my use of it ->

You're still being too vague in your steps. In step 3 you didn't specify whether the new icon should be given a size or what it defaults to, and 4 isn't a step at all. I need you to break this down into the absolute smallest details you can because with copy/paste issues getting good or bad behavior can depend on very subtle differences. If simply pasting was the issue, I would have already caught this in my testing.
Lummox JR wrote:
You're still being too vague in your steps. In step 3 you didn't specify whether the new icon should be given a size or what it defaults to, and 4 isn't a step at all. I need you to break this down into the absolute smallest details you can because with copy/paste issues getting good or bad behavior can depend on very subtle differences. If simply pasting was the issue, I would have already caught this in my testing.

Make a new icon, set its size to 64x64 icon a square in it that is like 10x10, then selection only the 10,10 and copy it it.
Then continue on to a different icon file 32x32, press the paint palette to create a new frame and attempt to paste it , or paste it direct in their it should cause multiple frame's to appear, at least that's what it does for me.

Be a hell of a lot easier if you had team viewer so i could directly show you the problem lol.
The whole copy/paste system has been acting weird recently. It's doing stuff it shouldn't and making my life much harder.

When I paste a small chunk I copied I want to be able to move it around, I don't want it auto-pasting to the top left and covering what might have been up there.