ID:999870

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Hey, I do most of my iconing in third-party programs, but lately I've ran into issues when I'm copying an image that has transparencies, or Alpha layers, from Adobe over to Dream Maker. Basically, it acutomatically puts a white background behind it, rather than a transparent background. This is really frustrating when I'm trying to make a transparent gradient for an overlay in Adobe, but can't bring it over to DM without having to spend a signifigant amount of time redoing all the alpha.

Anyways, it's just a pain in te butt. Any way you could make it so Alpha in the clipboard in carried over?
You can just save the adobe work as a png, and then import it into the DM icon editor; this preserves the alpha and avoids background issues.

You may consider this a workaround, and I am not saying this request has no value, but the method I described does work quite well.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
You can just save the adobe work as a png, and then import it into the DM icon editor; this preserves the alpha and avoids background issues.

You may consider this a workaround, and I am not saying this request has no value, but the method I described does work quite well.

It also happens when pasting out of dmi into a third party program, you could what was mentioned above or rename the png's file extension to dmi if its the only state you want to include in the image. Both methods are great and work well.
This has been brought up in the past by myself. I believe, and don't quote me on this, that it has something to do with the way Photoshop uses the clipboard. I think someone told me that, but it was years ago and I can't be sure.
That seems odd. I will have to test copying from Photoshop later.

Try using GIMP. It's a lot like Photoshop, but with less features. It has always worked perfectly for me when copy/pasting from there directly into Dream Maker; transparency and all. Of course there are different ways of pasting something into Dream Maker, so you could be doing it wrong.
Hmm, good to know about that work around, but it is tedious to have to save a bunch of PNG's. It'd be nice to just be able to paste directly from.

I have the same issue with Paint.NET, but I'll give Gimp a try.
So, yeah, I've got Paint.Net which can Paste alpha layers directly, Adobe Photoshop, which is excellent for editing, but can't paste external alpha, and then Gimp which can paste out, but sucks for editing. Greeaat...