ID:258057

*Color ramp is basically your palette, only in regards to gradual change... or something. I'm sure someone else can explain it better, I'm a visual explainer, personally. Basically avoid taking a color, making it darker or lighter, then taking that color and making it darker or lighter and so forth (Just changing the value, not the hue). There's nothing terribly wrong with this, but actually playing with the colors makes the final product much more interesting. This is typically a problem I see in bases.

awesome, i was just about to start designing my games tree's, thanks for the post :D
Its a great tutorial, though I didn't follow it, I just looked at the picture and kinda thought of making a trunk, it should help some people out. And here is my tree trunk if ya wanted to see what I came up with:

I'm gonna add some leaves and such to it, in both perspectives(The one you sorta did in the Showroom, and how its supposed to be).

Fixed it up after Xooxer game me some pointers on it:
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
Its a great tutorial, though I didn't follow it, I just looked at the picture and kinda thought of making a trunk, it should help some people out. And here is my tree trunk if ya wanted to see what I came up with:

I'm gonna add some leaves and such to it, in both perspectives(The one you sorta did in the Showroom, and how its supposed to be).

Fixed it up after Xooxer game me some pointers on it:

Clever of him telling you to add that purple. Neat usage of hue shifting and a great receding color like blue. Though by doing that the image looks more gray (the saturation is too low) which can be fixed by making the other colors stronger. Yeah, Xooxer defiantly gave some awesome crits I can see them all over. The less dithering you do the better the tree will look, only use it on emergencies. I'll probably do a tutorial on texturing later to show different techniques other than dithering.

Edit: For some reason the saturation is higher when I copy it to photoshop.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
In response to Hulio-G
Gotta say this helped me out quite a bit. Glad i remembered it. Ill be posting a WIP of what i have so far later (though some of you have seen it already)
In response to Evil-D123
Heya! Well I'm working on a game, and I've decided that the only option for us is to have me starting iconing. And I'm practicing now with making a tree! Everything is going well so far, but I have a question, I liked the shading colors you (AmonR) used for the tree, so I'd like to know the RGB's, if that's no problem, since I'm having trouble finding the right color...
Thanks!

Yours sincerely,

King-Bling

(Yeah yeah, its a newbie name, but I chose to pick it as my name since everyone knows me by it already...)
I am wondering, when will you finish the other part of this tutorial? ...
In response to Danny Kenobi
There's really actually a lot of ways you can go about doing the leaves. The trunk too for that matter. So many that I probably wouldn't have even been able to break it down even if I was motivated to finish this. I think at this point it would just be best to link to this reeeeeaally good post on trees at Way of the Pixel.
Great tutorial. gives an excellent example of artwork too.